Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Body Art (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Ask a tattoo artist a question (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=711482)

• Oct 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
    ottootto75
    Ask a tattoo artist a question
    I will soon be getting a sleeve tattoo done and wanted to know, is it reasonable to expect the artist to have something drawn up before the appointment? I did my research and specifically chose this tattooist because of his portfolio, recommendations and his speciality in the style that I want. I made my appointment 2 months in advance but forgot to discuss the detail of previewing the work before my first session. I have now made a second appointment 5 days before so I can see it (although my faith in the receptionist isn't strong that he will get the message as to why I'm there), but am hearing from a few sources that I shouldn't "expect too much" and he may not draw anything until the day of my first session. Is having the artwork done before the appointment expecting too much? Or should I expect to sit for an hour or two waiting for him to draw the stencil of my sleeve the day of the first session?
  • Oct 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
    0rphan
    I think you needed to ask lots more questions before actually making an appointment.
    It's clear that you have an idea of what you want the tattoo artist to draw but you have not given him any information,therefore how will he know until your first appointment.
    You say you have made a pre-appointment which I assume is when you will tell the artist exactly what you require him/her to do... good idea.
    Try and get across exactly what you want,if necessary try and do a rough sketch yourself or get a friend who perhaps can draw a little better than you if you don't feel confident ,at least then you can present this to the artist on the day,that way he will have an idea of a visual picture of what you require.
    If you have a photo of what you want, that's even better.

Be absolutely 100% certain that what he shows you before he starts,is exactly what you want... remembering it's for life.
  • Oct 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
    ottootto75
    Thank you for your response. I probably should have been more clear. When I made my original appointment, it was during a face to face consultation with the artist. In that time we discussed concept, I provided numerous images and both had a clear understanding of what the tattoo was going to be. This now pre-appointment that is days before the first session is to just see the artwork, if it's even created. I am fully confident in his work, but fear that the face of the woman won't be quite right or the interaction of the characters may need to be adjusted. I just wanted to know if most artists draw up such a big piece before hand, or should I expect to be waiting for him to create everything in my first session.