Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   Fr Chuck on the road (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=686617)

• Jul 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Fr Chuck on the road
    Just to let anyone know, I will be in and out of contact for a couple weeks starting on August 24th. I am moving to Bozhou China for at least 6 months and perhaps a year.

And yes Ms Fr Chuck and our son is going with me there. I have already checked with several friends in China and our web site here is available. So once I get settled, I will be back on line. In route I may or may not be online, so if you miss me for a week or two, that is where I am going to.

I will be working on my Martial Arts and Chinese culture.

I will have a travel blog going of my adventures. If people have any advice on China or living in China, please post them here.
  • Jul 24, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Curlyben
    WoW awesome.
    I'm sure you'll take full advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity...
  • Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Yes, I "retired" from my police job some years ago, "retired" from my medical tech job last Oct. And as of now have merged my school with another school ( making us most likely the largest karate school in the area) and sold part of the school. I retained part ownership, but I am taking the money and going to do things NOW instead of wishing latter. Also what a life for my son Nate who is 11. How many children get to spend a year learning culture and seeing all the major sites of China. We may stay longer if it goes well, or may also go to Japan and a few other places.

And of course if things don't go well, I may come back sooner.

Lady Toni (MS Fr Chuck) has always wanted to have some of the stories I tell about living in Mexico and Japan and other places. The stories of Cambodia sound more fun than they were at the time I am sure.

But this will give her and Nate experience many people only dream of. ** or perhaps dread, we have actually lost a few "friends" who have stopped talking to us because we are going to live there.
  • Jul 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Well sold my one car today, getting rid of everything I have a debt on, so I will be free to live better in China.

I am interested in any suggestions on things to take ( and not to take) , packing ideas and more.
  • Jul 28, 2012, 06:49 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Well sold my one car today, getting rid of everything I have a debt on, so I will be free to live better in China.

I am interested in any suggestions on things to take ( and not to take) , packing ideas and more.

Me, take me! Me! I'm small, I don't eat much. I'll TRY to keep my opinions to myself.

Me, please, me, take me!

Oh, by the way - I don't refer to your wife as MrsFrChuck. I refer to you as MrLadyToni.
  • Jul 28, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Keep opinions to yourself, HUMMMMM?
  • Jul 28, 2012, 07:01 AM
    J_9
    Wow! What a great adventure! I hope y'all have a great time!
  • Aug 5, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    18 days and counting. So I may be off here for a week or two, ( and maybe not) Hope internet is not an issue where we are going. Appears to be a small farming village will be our first stop after we do a week in Beijing. Have to get new cell phones, open bank accounts there and other issues for a long term stay to make life easier.

Not looking forward to the toliets ( or lack of them)
    Random Observations from China: Toilets :: Dammit Jim!
  • Aug 5, 2012, 08:51 PM
    J_9
    I'm glad you looked into the toilets... I didn't want to bring that subject up.
  • Aug 5, 2012, 09:04 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Already knew about them, they use these somewhat in Japan and other parts of Asia
  • Aug 5, 2012, 09:09 PM
    J_9
    I just can't imagine using those "holes."
  • Aug 5, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Wondergirl
    What happens when you hit 65 and aren't as limber?
  • Aug 5, 2012, 09:40 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What happens when you hit 65 and aren't as limber?

You have to aim better?
  • Aug 10, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    I will see about posting a few photos ( not of them being used of course)
  • Aug 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
    Wondergirl
    Actually, I'd like to see one being used. I can't imagine how a woman uses one.
  • Aug 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Sort of squats over it and lets it go, wearing a skirt I understand makes it easier.
  • Aug 10, 2012, 08:36 PM
    Wondergirl
    What if she has bad knees?
  • Aug 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sorta squats over it and lets it go, wearing a skirt I understand makes it easier.

Gives new meaning to 'got a link for that?'. Well I don't know if it would make it easier, one still has to deal with getting the panties out of the way of the stream and that is awkward when squatting. I guess one could go without them. I hope they don't have streetcars (inside joke).
  • Aug 15, 2012, 05:17 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Panties ? What panties ?
  • Aug 19, 2012, 06:32 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Well have not left and may have a slight change to schedule, I had been trying to get a residence permit for China, so I don't have to enter and leave the country as you do with a tourist visa.

So I had been refused because of my religious status ( or so I was told by the people working on it for me) Well it finally got though today and I can change to a residence permit and a visa that allows me to work and not have to enter and leave the nation.
    I guess if this was the US I would call it a Green Card for the best comparison I can.

I had almost given up on this happening, but this changes my plans some, we will still be traveling around and seeing the culture but I have the opportunity to consult in China, I am not at liberty to say for who and exactly what. But I will be telling about some of my adventures on my blog and some things here.