Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Administrative & Clerical Support (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Quotes with in quotes. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=593369)

• Aug 18, 2011, 06:41 AM
    Aurora_Bell
    Quotes with in quotes.
    I am doing some minutes from an exec meeting last week which needs to be recorded verbatim, and I need to have quotes with in a quote. Example: Joe stated "The money is provided on quartly basis, I will read from our last year’s financial statements "in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt. Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that. He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.

What is bolded is a direct quote from "Joe" while what is in italics is a quote from a (hypothetical) financial statement. How do I correctly record this?
  • Aug 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
    albear
    Example:

Joe stated "The money is provided on quartly basis, I will read from our last year’s financial statements "

(in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt. Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that).

He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He also reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.

I'd present it like that as it isn't part of the conversation Joe had or part of what happened afterward, its just a side note.
  • Aug 18, 2011, 06:57 AM
    Aurora_Bell
    Ahhh! You are so smart! Seems so simple. Lol.
  • Aug 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
    albear
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Ahhh! You are so smart! Seems so simple. Lol.

No worries Bella, I'm sure others will have better suggestions,
    But thanks for the ego boost anyway :o
  • Aug 18, 2011, 08:03 AM
    Wondergirl
    You could do it several ways. Albear's is good. Single quote marks go inside double quote marks. --

Joe stated, "The money is provided on quarterly basis. I will read from our last year’s financial statements: 'in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt.'"

Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that. He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.

OR (not as good)

Joe stated, "The money is provided on quarterly basis. I will read from our last year’s financial statements: in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt.

Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that. He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.
  • Aug 18, 2011, 08:07 AM
    Aurora_Bell
    Thank you WG.

Oh, and I do know that my title is supposed to be within, but I hit send and it was too late.
  • Aug 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Oh, and I do know that my title is supposed to be within, but I hit send and it was too late.

What title?
  • Aug 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
    Aurora_Bell
    The one for this thread.
  • Aug 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

The one for this thread.

The mistake makes the title an attention getter. ;) (Always do a positive spin.)
  • Aug 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Aurora_Bell
    I like the way you think!