Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Handhelds (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   Problems loading a DVD into Windows Movie Maker. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=240788)

• Jul 23, 2008, 11:22 AM
    BAMF
    Problems loading a DVD into Windows Movie Maker.
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain my situation clearly, but I'll try.
    I have a Hitachi DZ-MV550A and this is my first time using it. I finalized the DVD-R and loaded it into my computer. It comes up on the computer as DVD_CAMERA (E:), so that's not the problem. Now I want to edit the video so when I go to Windows Movie Maker I go to import video. But when I go to there it says "The file E:\DVDCAM\DVDCAM.IFO is not a supported file type, and it cannot be imported into Windows Movie Maker." Do I have to convert it or am I just importing it wrong. Help!
  • Jul 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Scleros
    Windows Movie Maker supports .asf, avi, m1v, mp2, mp2v, mpe, mpeg, mpg, mpv2, wm, and .wmv file formats. I'm not familiar with your camera model, but I doubt it writes directly to DVD discs in any of those formats. So, yes a conversion will probably be needed or the camera's save format adjusted. I also suspect your camera included software to extract footage from finalized discs and perform rudimentary editing and conversion. See your manual or Hitachi's support site.
  • Jul 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
    BAMF
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scleros
    Windows Movie Maker supports .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv file formats. I'm not familiar with your camera model, but I doubt it writes directly to DVD discs in any of those formats. So, yes a conversion will probably be needed or the camera's save format adjusted. I also suspect your camera included software to extract footage from finalized discs and perform rudimentary editing and conversion. See your manual or Hitachi's support site.

Thank you. But I have another question. How do you convert the DVD. Do you need a specific software? Also, I do not have the software because someone gave it to me because they never used it, so I just got the camera along with some cords.
  • Jul 24, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Scleros
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BAMF
    How do you convert the DVD. Do you need a specific software?

Yes, see AfterDawn.com: Guides: How to play VOB / IFO / BUP files and below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAMF
    Also, I do not have the software because someone gave it to me because they never used it, so I just got the camera along with some cords.

See Hitachi DVD Camcorder PC Software Support for software and DZ-MV550A manual. Note the manual link you may have to right-click and choose Save Target As or Save Link As to download the manual; directly clicking on it did not work for me resulting in a corrupt file message in Adobe.