Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Earthquake causes Japan to be hit by huge Tsunami (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=561329)

• Mar 11, 2011, 01:17 AM
    Curlyben
    Earthquake causes Japan to be hit by huge Tsunami
    The BBC just showed live pictures of the Tsunami surge. I'll be amazed if there is not a considerable loss of life.

... and they still expect the surge to hit other shorelines around the pacific basin that have not been reached yet.

BBC News - Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake
  • Mar 11, 2011, 01:42 AM
    shazamataz

Just heard about this... what is going on with the Earth, seriously??
  • Mar 11, 2011, 05:27 AM
    Just_Another_Lemming

Good morning all. I cannot begin to imagine what these people went through. The aerial footage shot of the Tsunami "eating" the land was unbelievable. According to the weatherman, due to the ripple effect they are expecting Eastern Australia to feel it as well as the western shores of North & South American. It is supposed to hit the U.S. shore in less than 3 hours. They don't expect it to be anywhere near as damaging as it was to Japan but Hawaii may be adversly effected.

I do wonder about all the global warming nay sayers. Something is seriously going on with the Earth and it seems to be growing increasingly worse.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 05:43 AM
    tomder55

Hate for this post to be hijacked like this.. but in response to JAL .

Nay sayers... hmmm .I guess that is a polite way of saying 'denier'.

I checked the list ,and yes earthquakes and tsunamis have been blamed on global warming before .
    Global Warming Ate My Homework: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

Can you demonstrate the relationship between plate tectonics and climate change ?

Maybe Michael Mann can concoct one for you.
    Quote:

Cuccinelli has filed multiple civil investigative demands to review Mann's e-mails and documents. The attorney general is accusing Mann of using manipulated or deceitful data pertaining to climate change to obtain taxpayer-funded research grants, and hopes to acquire documents that will enable him to prosecute Mann under the Virginia Fraud Against Taxpayers Act
    http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2011/02...t-to-subpoena/

True science will tell you that the Ring of Fire is caused by naturally occurring shifting on the plates.Humans adapt .

These germs of disease have taken toll of humanity since the beginning of things–taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power; to no germs do we succumb without a struggle, and to many–those that cause putrefaction in dead matter, for instance–our living frames are altogether immune. ....By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth..(HG Wells )
  • Mar 11, 2011, 05:46 AM
    tomder55

Residents near Fukushima nuclear power plant are being evacuated .I think they are shutting them all down as a precaution.

But there is one that has reportedly caught fire.
    http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...japanese-quake
  • Mar 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
    speechlesstx

As of this second, the tsunami clock is down to about 5 minutes for Japan. Many people are reportedly planning to ride it out in the bar. I kid you not.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 06:12 AM
    excon

Hello:

Glad I live on a hill.

excon
  • Mar 11, 2011, 06:25 AM
    excon

Hello again,

Another one happened in Hawaii. The Earth is cracking.

excon
  • Mar 11, 2011, 06:31 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

Glad I live on a hill.

excon

Me too... but I had to break out the kayak this morning to get to work.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 07:29 AM
    J_9

And areas near the new madrid fault have been acting up as well.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 07:40 AM
    excon

Hello again:

Tsunami is going to hit here in an hour. J, quick, call Al Gore.

excon
  • Mar 11, 2011, 07:51 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Tsunami is gonna hit here in an hour. J, quick, call Al Gore.

excon

Al must be busy in his "green" house in Nashville. He's not picking up the phone.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
    speechlesstx

I wonder if global warming had anything to do with the nasty wildfires here two weeks ago.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
    smoothy

Al Gore is out flying around in his jet creating more of his "Global Warming"
  • Mar 11, 2011, 07:59 AM
    smoothy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I wonder if global warming had anything to do with the nasty wildfires here two weeks ago.

Or all that snow everyone has gotten. If it gets any warmer Florida is going to need snowplows.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 08:01 AM
    smoothy

Incidentally... on topic. THe reported numbers are still low but climbing. I think its going to take some time before they figure out how many are missing... even in rough numbers. Got to be a lot of debris etc to sort through just from the few videos I've seen thus far this morning.

8.9... thats a HUGE f-ing quake by anyone's standards.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 08:03 AM
    excon

Hello again,

Fracking is causing the fricking earthquakes.

excon
  • Mar 11, 2011, 08:11 AM
    smoothy

The subduction of continental plates has nothing at all to do with it?

I think we had earthquakes for longer than people have been self aware on this planet. PARTICULARLY in that region of the world. After all, Hawaii doesn't exist because of oil and gas companies actions.

Incidentally... its wreaked havoc with the telecom stuff in the region... so if I end up scarce on the site for the next few days... its related to that.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 02:37 PM
    paraclete
    An incrediable thing. It demonstrates just how fragile our existence is.
  • Mar 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
    tomder55

That nuke plant is becoming a thing of major concern .

Nuke Plant Crisis Worsens as Radiation Levels Rise - Ecocentric - TIME.com