Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Sudden loss of water pressure (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=26015)

• May 12, 2006, 07:43 PM
    hankins27
    Sudden loss of water pressure
    A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house.

Thanks for any help,
    Steve
  • May 13, 2006, 05:44 AM
    speedball1
    Hi Steve,

What type of pipes do you have? Copper? Galvanized? Plastic?
    How old is your house? Well or city water? Have you removed the aerator from the spout and checked the screens to see if they're blocked? Answer my questions and I'll get back ASAP. Regards, tom
  • May 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
    hankins27
    Tom,

Thanks for the response... the supply lines are copper. The house was built in the '50's and I'm on city water. I haven't checked the screens to see if they are blocked. Not sure if I know exactly where they are but I will see if I can find them. I installed the faucet myself about a year ago and haven't had any troubles till now.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • May 13, 2006, 01:18 PM
    speedball1
    The aerator ia located on the end of the kitchen faucet spout and it just unsrews off. If you take it apart be very sure you put it back together the same way. Good luck, Tom
  • Aug 18, 2006, 12:46 PM
    hankins27
    Tom (or anyone else),

I removed the aerator and it was clean - not a spec of dirt anywhere. I ended up removing the entire spout from the piece underneath the sink - where the hot and cold water lines come together. I didn't see any dirt buildup or anything so I connected them back together and it seemed to solve the problem... for a few days. Now it's doing it again. Is there something I should be looking for in the part under the sink where the lines come together? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Aug 18, 2006, 01:33 PM
    kuslevbm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hankins27
    A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house.

Thanks for any help,
    Steve

Check small water filter at the end of the sink. It could be blocked.
  • Aug 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
    speedball1
    Hi Steve,

I think what kusleybm is referring to is the arearor which you have already checked.
    " I ended up removing the entire spout from the piece underneath the sink - where the hot and cold water lines come together. I didn't see any dirt buildup or anything so I connected them back together and it seemed to solve the problem...for a few days. Now it's doing it again. Is there something I should be looking for in the part under the sink where the lines come together? "

I think you have some crud that may have fallen off the pipe walls and every time you make a draw it sucks up the crud and clogs the faucet. When you had the pipes off did you turn the water back on and flush out the supplies.
    If not do it and let me know what you find. Regards, Tom