Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Visas & Passports (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   International Travel While on Probation (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=818684)

• Nov 24, 2015, 06:58 AM
    bobc58
    International Travel While on Probation
    I am on probation for DWI in Texas. My company wants me to go to India on business. Is this possible? All of my fines are paid and I have always been up to date on probation fees. I have around 2 years left out of a 10 year sentence. I have never been in any other trouble.
  • Nov 24, 2015, 08:38 AM
    RickJ
    This is a question for your PI. Sometimes it's not the letter of the law that is the answer, but what the PI will allow.
  • Nov 24, 2015, 06:03 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Do you report on a regular basis to the probation office?

You will need to get a written letter giving you permission for such travel, and when you are allowed to travel, when you must return and so on.

Normally for minor issues like this, (while it does not sound real minor if you have 10 year probation)

So see the probation officer and make a written application for such travel
  • Nov 25, 2015, 11:57 AM
    ma0641
    10 year probation for a DUI? Are you restricted from drinking and periodically tested for alcohol consumption (EtG)? If you have been clean in the past and have a good relation with your PO, they may allow you to go, but with restrictions I am sure.
  • Nov 26, 2015, 06:34 AM
    bobc58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Do you report on a regular basis to the probation office?

You will need to get a written letter giving you permission for such travel, and when you are allowed to travel, when you must return and so on.

Normally for minor issues like this, (while it does not sound real minor if you have 10 year probation)

So see the probation officer and make a written application for such travel

Yes I report monthly. It was 3rd DUI, I was a slow learner I suppose. I have been sober since July 2007.
  • Nov 26, 2015, 06:43 AM
    bobc58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    10 year probation for a DUI? Are you restricted from drinking and periodically tested for alcohol consumption (EtG)? If you have been clean in the past and have a good relation with your PO, they may allow you to go, but with restrictions I am sure.

It was 3rd DUI. I have been sober since July 2007. Yes I have to do random alcohol testing. All fines were paid off 6 years ago. I have always been on time to PO visits and always paid probation fees at that time. I guess I have a good relationship with my officer. I was on mail in reporting for some time until the state stopped that for DWI offenders with interlock devices on their vehicles.
  • Nov 26, 2015, 07:07 AM
    talaniman
    Talk to your PO, and see what he says.