Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   I'd like some opinions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=564787)

• Mar 23, 2011, 08:28 PM
    binx44
    I'd like some opinions
    I've worked on a web site for hours, well actually pretty much all day and some of yesterday. It's a free based site (webs.com) and now that I'm going to shut down the computer for tonight I'd like some opinions. I like the layout and stuff, but I'm a bit biased I think because its my own work. Its not done, the faq's aren't done. If anyone has any advice or faq's I could add please let me know

The site is

www.valley-alapahas.webs.com

There we go, fixed the url. Had an ' that shouldn't be there I apologise
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
    J_9

Is that the direct link? I can't get to it. I get a message saying "server not found."
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:31 PM
    binx44

OOOPS. There's not supposed to be an ' in it... I'm sorry

Its Home - Valley Alapahas
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
    J_9

I like it. Very nice!
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
    binx44

I wanted it to be straight forward and not complicated. I hope I succeeded in that
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
    J_9

You did. For a free site it's very nice!
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Wondergirl

The photo at the top is very, very dark.
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
    binx44

Wonder, do you mean the forest photo with the path through it?
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:44 PM
    Wondergirl

Yes, that photo.

Otherwise, it looks good.
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Yes, the top photo looks like dark trees at night, I do not see a path at all, just shaddows in a dark background.

And I can make it larger of course, but the print for me was hard to read at its current size on the first page
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:55 PM
    binx44

I was thinking on making the font larger, my mother commented on that also. I don't know if I can make the photo lighter yet
  • Mar 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
    cdad

You can grab the photo and lighten it in any number of picture programs then reupload it.
  • Mar 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
    Cat1864

It is looking very good.

The pic at the top of the page has already been covered.

The only other thing I could suggest might be to break up the description a bit more.

Are you going to discuss what agencies/clubs register the breed?
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
    binx44

I meant to *slaps forehead* I can't believe I forgot that. Thank you cat. And thank you for the advice on breaking up the description. I have a tendency to start typing then forget to space things apart for people since not everyone reads like I do.

You guys are all great for the advice end of things.
    I expanded the FAQ more, made the font bigger on the first page.

I need to include registries, break up the description to make it easier for people

I'd love some more faq questions. Does anyone have any?
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:47 PM
    cdad

I can see at least 3 questions that have been missed.

1) How do I submit a testimonial.

That way you have clear guidelines and a link pointing to it.

2) How do I submit a photo.

Again clear guidelines on what is acceptable.

3) Site guidelines.

If someone is allowed to post to your site then your going to need those.
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Wondergirl

I see a number of grammar (sentence structure, phrasing, etc.) errors. :eek:
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
    binx44

Thank you.. and wonder... PLEASE point them out to me.. I've got no one on hand to proofread for me
  • Mar 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    thank you.. and wonder... PLEASE point them out to me.. i've got no one on hand to proofread for me

Here's the first paragraph --

The [o]rigin of this breed is under some controversy[.] A few breeders have [omit each] come up with a story claiming to be the only people breeding the true Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog. [Because of] this controversy[,] we all can agree on one thing for sure[--]that the Alapaha is a versatile unique breed of bulldog. The Alapaha has a very distinct type, though some characteristics vary from breeder to breeder. The most common story of the origin of this breed of bulldog is the Lane breeding program. [This program] originated in the 1800[omit ']s[.] [Its] intention was to protect the old "plantation dog" [of] the Southern United States ([breed's origin:] Southern Georgia) from going extinct[.] [omit , This breed originated in the Alapaha river region of Southern Georgia.]
  • Mar 24, 2011, 08:55 PM
    martinizing2

I would maybe include a note on if they are expensive too purchase , and the ease of finding reputable breeders.

I enjoyed learning about these dogs , I have not heard of them until now.
    Good job.
  • Mar 25, 2011, 03:31 AM
    binx44

Thanks wonder. :D you're a sweetheart.

Martinizing. I never thought about that. I paid 2k for my pup :S but they do drop as low as 900 in some places.
    Feel free to take a look at my photo album, I've got a few pictures of him up. Though there are also some on the site. I'm glad you enjoyed learning about them. Thank you