Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Father's rights to an unborn baby (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=361871)

• Jun 5, 2009, 05:51 PM
    stuckless1
    Father's rights to an unborn baby
    I have just been recently informed that I am going to be a dad, and I love the thought of it. I was just wondering about my rights with regards to the status of the unborn child.. for example... What are my rights with regards to check up visits? I want to be a part of everything with regards to the child... am I allowed to be there for the ultrasound and general check ups? Because I would like to be included in all aspects of the baby.
  • Jun 5, 2009, 05:59 PM
    stevetcg

Until the child is born, you are allowed to do whatever the child's mother allows you to do.

You don't have a right to be at her appointments, or even in the delivery room if she doesn't want you to.
  • Jun 7, 2009, 09:24 AM
    babieface85

Does she not want you around? She has that right until you are the baby's legal father.
  • Jun 8, 2009, 06:32 PM
    babwgreen123

Hi I'm sorry to say you have no rights till the child is born the mother doesn't have to take you to check ups or let you no the sex of the babe or even see her but if that is a problem for you and the mother of the child to be then you can go see a laywer when the child is born and if your name is on the brith cef you have rights though but if you to anit together when the child is born she has more rights then u
  • Jun 8, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Fr_Chuck

I am sorry babwgreen123, this is a legal forum and we pride ourselves with professionals who work in the legal profession or work within many other professions such as real estate or insurance and more.

While we know all want to help, if you are not aware of the legal aspects of a question, please do not post in the legal sections.
  • Jun 2, 2011, 11:36 PM
    Jenna0519
    I just found out even though the child's unborn the father has rights no matter what
  • Jun 3, 2011, 05:40 AM
    GV70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna0519 View Post
    i just found out even though the childs unborn the father has rights no matter what

Congratulations!
    You re-opened a case which was posted many years ago!
  • Jun 3, 2011, 06:51 AM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

i just found out even though the childs unborn the father has rights no matter what

Quote:

Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Congratulations!
    You re-opened a case which was posted many years ago!

And with totally incorrect information to boot.

Jenna, who told you this (as far as I know) incorrect information?
  • Jun 3, 2011, 06:58 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

You found out wrong. Your blanket statement is not true.
  • Nov 16, 2011, 06:23 PM
    CrystalM35
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_rights_does_a_father_have_to_an_unborn_child

United States

In the case of Planned Parenthood of Central Missouri v. Danforth, 428 U.S. 52, 96 S. Ct. 2831, 49 L. Ed. 2d 788 (1976), the Supreme Court of the United States upheld the right to have an abortion, striking the state's requirements of parental consent for minors and spousal consent for married women.

This is a matter of privacy since a fetus cannot be separated from a woman's body.

A father must establish his paternity after the birth through DNA testing that can be arranged through court in order to establish parental rights.
  • Nov 17, 2011, 06:35 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Why are people flocking to a June 2008 thread and quoting another site (without giving credit to the actual writer of the answer)?

Time to close!

Another case of sign on, post this, sign off -?
  • Jul 5, 2012, 01:27 PM
    mattems1991
    Quick question: if the mother and father are not together anymore and the mother doesn't want the father included in her life for anything, how will he know when the baby is born? Is the mother supposed to let him know when the baby is out since that is when his rights kick in. is she supposed to let him know right away when the baby is out or can she wait a few hours or what?
    Thanks
  • Jul 5, 2012, 01:45 PM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mattems1991 View Post
    quick question: if the mother and father are not together anymore and the mother doesnt want the father included in her life for anything, how will he know when the baby is born?? is the mother supposed to let him know when the baby is out since that is when his rights kick in. is she supposed to let him know right away when the baby is out or can she wait a few hours or what?
    thanks

Quick answer: putative father registry (if there is one in your state).

The mother is not required to give him any notice. He is only entitled to notice if she seeks an order that he pay child support, or if an adoption is in the works.