Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Education Administration (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Charter School (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=702149)

• Sep 15, 2012, 06:29 AM
    pastor1189
    Charter School
    I see a lot of low income people love charter schools. I think this class of schools
    Receives public funds. The students do not have to buy anything, like pencils and paper. I guess that is why they have a waiting list. However 5 schools here in Florida did close its door, leaving the children in oblivion, and the parents searching
    For an alternative. Do I have this concept correct?

I have no idea why they closed all five schools?
  • Sep 15, 2012, 07:29 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    I see a lot of low income people love charter schools. I think this class of schools
    receives public funds. The students do not have to buy anything, like pencils and paper. I guess that is why they have a waiting list. However 5 schools here in Florida did close its door, leaving the children in oblivion, and the parents searching
    for an alternative. Do I have this concept correct?

I have no idea why they closed all five schools?

I can only address my area - yes, one (out of several) is attended by "low income" people (I prefer "disadvantaged") because the standard of education is higher. Charter schools can remove a student who is disruptive. Public schools have to go through a list of steps before they can do so.

In my area students still have to buy "pencils and paper." This isn't a free ride. It's an alternative to public (or private) schools.

I have no idea in your area why parents would be scrambling to place their children when a charter school closes. Public schools HAVE to educate children. There is no picking and choosing.

The charter schools in my area are supported by public funds (taxes), just like every other school. They are accredited and licensed by the State but they are free of many of the traditional school rules/regulations concerning hiring and firing. They also have contracts with the public schools and must teach within certain guidelinees (although there is greater freedom than the traditional public schools).

You appear to think that they are some sort of "lower level" school for the poor.
  • Sep 15, 2012, 07:41 AM
    pastor1189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I can only address my area - yes, one (out of several) is attended by "low income" people (I prefer "disadvantaged") because the standard of education is higher. Charter schools can remove a student who is disruptive. Public schools have to go through a list of steps before they can do so.

In my area students still have to buy "pencils and paper." This isn't a free ride. It's an alternative to public (or private) schools.

I have no idea in your area why parents would be scrambling to place their children when a charter school closes. Public schools HAVE to educate children. There is no picking and choosing.

The charter schools in my area are supported by public funds (taxes), just like every other school. They are accredited and licensed by the State but they are free of many of the traditional school rules/regulations concerning hiring and firing. They also have contracts with the public schools and must teach within certain guidelinees (although there is greater freedom than the traditional public schools).

You appear to think that they are some sort of "lower level" school for the poor.

Very informative. Thanks I wondered how it works
  • Sep 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
    teacherjenn4
    Quote:

Very informative. Thanks I wondered how it works

Basically, charter schools came about because people were removing their students from public schools due to low- performing testing, drop/outs,and to private schools. The state of CA started funding these charter schools as an alternative way to increase attendance. The state pays a certain dollar amount based solely on attendance to each school. So, if no one attends, the school will not receive any money. When a charter school opens here in CA, they do everything they can to keep everyone happy, in order to keep children in school. They do have guidelines to meet, but they do have more flexibility. If the charter school fails to meet state criteria, their contract is ended, and that school is closed. I know this is wordy, but bottom line, having a child in a seat daily pays the bills. So, free paper and pencils is not unheard of.
  • Sep 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
    pastor1189
    What wonderful information I am receiving
  • Sep 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
    teacherjenn4
    Quote:

What wonderful information I am receiving

That's why we are all here-- to help each other.