Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Teens (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   When is the right age to date (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=34153)

• Sep 14, 2006, 03:18 AM
    aggie04
    When is the right age to date
    Just curious. When do u guys think is the right age to start dating?:confused:
  • Sep 14, 2006, 04:26 AM
    RickJ
    It's 15 in my house.
  • Sep 14, 2006, 04:58 AM
    JoeCanada76
    For me personally, I think 16 is a good age to start.
  • Sep 14, 2006, 05:11 AM
    aggie04
    I'm 17.. the first and the last I went on a date was.. hmmmm.. oh yeah 2yrs ago!!
    ;) I went to the movies with this guy but it didn't really go anywhere...
    After a couple of love letters it kind of got stale so I left it...
    Since then I've just been single!
    And that's the way I like it.. more freedom.. ;D :)
  • Sep 14, 2006, 05:16 AM
    Krs
    I agree with Joe, 16 is a suitable age, but it alsways good to take things slow and not jump into anything too fast as saying that 16 is very young and you have a full life ahead of you to experience relationships.
  • Sep 15, 2006, 06:10 PM
    s_cianci
    Personally, I prefer that young people wait until they reach marriage age before they begin dating. There's no practical reason to begin doing so before then and it just causes young people to acquire so much baggage that they end up carrying with them when they do finally marry, much to the detriment of their relationship with their spouse.
  • Sep 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
    AKaeTrue
    Bringing your friends along on family outings = ageless.
    Going out with friends w/ parents dropping you off = 14/15
    Having a friend pick you up rather than parents drop you off = 16/17
    Dating, giving that there could be sex involved, 18 or older.
  • Sep 16, 2006, 11:46 AM
    J_9
    Well, my dad told me that I had to be 41 to date and even then he had to go with me. That was many moons ago. I am now 42, my oldest is 20 and my youngest is 4. I have 2 right in the middle.

The appropriate age in my opinion has a lot to do with maturity, based on the individual child. But if I had to give an exact number, I would pick 16.
  • Sep 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
    chishikineko
    In my parents house we could date at 16 with only groups and at 18 it was one on one dating, but parents aren't always willing to let there childern grow up. I tried dating once at 17 my mother had a fit and told the guy not to call me ever again. Lol
  • Sep 21, 2006, 04:02 PM
    jham_lindow
    In my house, I am allowed to date when I turn 16, and I am almost 15 right now.
  • Sep 21, 2006, 04:18 PM
    Presleygall85
    16 Is a great Age of course I didn't start dating until I was almost 18.. I was just more interested in friends and flirting with a bunch of guys.. so.. I would say 16-17 :)
  • Sep 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
    kp2171
    Its fine to date at your age, but don't feel pressured into it.

There are times when you need to be on your own and not have to worry about the things that come with being with another.

When the mood strikes you, you'll know. In the meantime, don't fret about it.

My daughter dated off and on through HS and then stopped for almost a year and a half at college. She just had so much to do, she wasn't interested in putting up the effort.
  • Oct 13, 2006, 11:16 AM
    lilian79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie04
    just curious. when do u guys think is the right age to start dating?:confused:

When ever your parents tell it's the time... lol..
  • Oct 13, 2006, 11:37 AM
    charlie123
    My opinion is 16. My parents let me start going on car dates right before I turned 15. And I was a little bit promiscuous growing up - so when mine start dating. The age will be at least 16 before they can go on a REAL date!
  • Oct 14, 2006, 06:01 AM
    talaniman
    40 for my daughter!! 17 is cool for everyone else. Unfortunately I was over ruled by her mother. Son has been walking girls home since he started school so... Double standard I know... So What!
  • Oct 19, 2006, 04:18 PM
    blueshadow_393
    I think you should be able to date when you find someone you truly like. Which shouldn't happen till around 15ish.
  • Nov 4, 2006, 08:33 AM
    akms
    My mom says that I am mature enough now but that I should probably wait until 14 because the other person might not be mature enough
  • Nov 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
    theboss33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Personally, I prefer that young people wait until they reach marriage age before they begin dating. There's no practical reason to begin doing so before then and it just causes young people to acquire so much baggage that they end up carrying with them when they do finally marry, much to the detriment of their relationship with their spouse.

I don't agree with you I believe that relationships in your teens build stronger relationships when you are married I don't believe that these relationships should include sexual activity though
  • Nov 9, 2006, 11:27 AM
    amberandalexa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie04
    just curious. when do u guys think is the right age to start dating?:confused:

• Nov 9, 2006, 12:38 PM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s_cianci

What a crock! How does one expect people to learn how to deal with relationships? There is so much more baggage involved with an adult relationship then with a teenage one. Adult relationships are expected to lead somewhere, teenagers change partners weekly.

Dating has become a way for young people to learn about relationships.

When to start dating depends somewhat on the maturity level and gender of the individual. For my daughter, she was allowed to one on one date at 15.

I know people who married their high school sweethearts. People they started dating at 16-17. I know one couple who have been married for over 30 years. They started dating when he was 15 and she was 14.