Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cigars & Tobacco (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Preferences on cigars (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=536788)

• Dec 21, 2010, 09:47 PM
    ITstudent2006
    Preferences on cigars
    I am a big cigar person but I am looking for insight on new cigars that meat my requests.
    The following is what I like in a cigar.

It's got to be well constructed even burning cigar (no cheapies)
    Medium bodied for the most part (certain full body or strong cigars are nice)
    Huge fan of a loose draw. (I hate puffing and puffing and I don't mind the hotness)
    Gauge isn't a huge concern.

I'm usually a fan of Perdomo Cigars. The Perdomo Lot23 or Patriarch's I can get around $6-12 in a variety of wrappers and sizes!
  • Dec 21, 2010, 11:41 PM
    Curlyben
    Well there's only really one option, Havana's.
    My personal preference is for Monte Cristo's followed by Punch.

Difficult to beat a fine smoke from the hand rolling masters ;)
  • Dec 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
    J_9

My husband is a big fan of Acid Cigars among others. I just can't remember the name of the others right now.
  • Dec 22, 2010, 06:24 AM
    ITstudent2006
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Well there's only really one option, Havana's.
    My personal preference is for Monte Cristo's followed by Punch.

Difficult to beat a fine smoke from the hand rolling masters ;)

I've had my fair share of Punch cigars. Not sure about the Monte Cristo's... hm that'll probably be my next one.

When I graduated bootcamp I had my sister buy a box of Rocky Patels and bring them out to CA for me and my boys ;) They were surprisingly really good. (then again, I was without anysort of smoking for 3 months)

My question is this though. Without going into a shoppe (because they try to sell you anything) and obviously I haven't smoked every single one. What is it you look for in a cigar from a visual perspective? I know I like the Maduro wrappers as it tends to add a sweeter flavor to the cigar and usually the darker the wrapper the stronger the blend. (key word usually) But beyond wrapper what else can you tell just by looking?
  • Dec 22, 2010, 06:53 AM
    raisingale

Rocky Patel Edge Light is a beauty. As far as looking at a cigar, I try to avoid obvious, large veins. Also, gently squeeze along the length. It should feel pretty consistent throughout. No cracking noise should be heard or its too dry.
  • Dec 22, 2010, 06:55 AM
    ITstudent2006

Why the veins?
  • Dec 22, 2010, 06:55 AM
    J_9

Okay, y'all are giving me ideas for stocking stuffers. Going to go to the Tinder Box in a bit.
  • Dec 22, 2010, 07:56 AM
    raisingale
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Why the veins?

They'll all have veins to some extent but if there's an overly large one it can interfere with a nice, even burn. Check out some lower dollar cigars and the compare them to something along the lines of a Rocky Patel Edge Light. The difference in wrapper quality will be readily apparent.