Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Senior Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=292)
-   -   Muscle Spasms in leg (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=102082)

• Jun 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
    MADISON2003
    Muscle Spasms in leg
    I am 66yrs. Old and relatively healthy. I started having muscle spasms in my left leg for no apparent reason. My MD gave me a muscle relaxant which helped the problem but they made me very sleepy. They stopped but have come back. They are very painful and I can hardly walk. Any advice as to what I can do?
  • Jun 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Flowerchild1946
    Muscle spasms are usually a sign of low potassium, I find eating a banana a day, keeps me free of them.
  • Jun 17, 2007, 05:49 PM
    JoeCanada76
    Best thing to do is go back to your doctor and tell him that your condition is worsening and that you do not want a quick fix like medication. Tell him that you want to find out the actual cause and that you want tests to find out what is happening to your leg.

Best of luck and yes, I agree with the above that potassium is important in your diet.

I would say it needs to be further investigated before treating it with the possibilities of what it could be. You need to find out exactly what it is. You need to communicate this with your doctor.

Joe
  • Jun 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
    J_9
    Before I go on, are you on any other medications at all? For instance this can be considered an allergic reaction to cholesterol medication which may be giving you hypercalcemia, which would cause muscle tetany.

It is important that we know any other meds you may be taking, including any OTC meds.
  • Jun 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
    MADISON2003
    To answer the question about other meds I am taking- The only one I take is Fioricet for migrains. I take Alleve, if necessary, for arthritis pain.
  • Jun 17, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Wondergirl
    I am not a doctor, and I suggest you check with yours about this.

To keep from having leg cramps, I eat a banana a day, and an hour before bed, drink a cup of decaf green tea (decaf black will work too) and swallow one 600 mg. calcium tablet. I take another calcium tablet in the morning after I brush my teeth.
  • Jun 17, 2007, 08:28 PM
    J_9
    Thank you for your answer. In that case I have to agree with the possibility of a potassium deficiency. If you do not drink orange or pineapple juice daily, you may what to start.

Make an appointment with your doctor for a LFT (liver function test) as well as a CBC, and have him check for Electrolyte Imbalance.

You see, there are several reasons you may have these muscle spasms, one being a deficiency in potassium and another being an increase in calcium, or hypercalcemia.

Have you ever been checked for osteoporosis?
  • Jun 17, 2007, 08:31 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I swallow one 600 mg. calcium tablet. I take another calcium tablet in the morning after I brush my teeth.

Yes, but too much calcium can cause muscle spams also. Also when taking Calcium one must be sure to get adaquate amounts of Vitamin D. As calcium is not readily absorbed into the body without Vitamin D.
  • Sep 7, 2007, 11:33 PM
    missms
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MADISON2003
    I am 66yrs. old and relatively healthy. I started having muscle spasms in my left leg for no apparent reason. My MD gave me a muscle relaxant which helped the problem but they made me very sleepy. They stopped but have come back. They are very painful and I can hardly walk. Any advice as to what I can do?

Are your on Lipitor for cholestrol? If so, get off medicine. Can cause lots of leg problems.