Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pregnancy & New Motherhood (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Old wives tales (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=112448)

• Jul 22, 2007, 06:34 PM
    bekah876
    Old wives tales
    I am curious to know all the old wives tales that are out there about determining whether you will have a boy or girl. Someone my husband knows thinks we are having a boy because she added up a bunch of numbers, such as age, birthday, etc.. If the number came out odd it is suppose to be a boy, a even number is a girl. What other wives tales are out there?
  • Jul 22, 2007, 06:40 PM
    GlindaofOz
    The one I've always heard is that if your pregnant tummy hangs low it's a boy and if it sits high it's a girl.

I think a girl I worked with said that you should be able to tell what you're having based on food cravings - but I don't remember exactly - sorry!
  • Jul 22, 2007, 06:55 PM
    babieface85
    They can be dead wrong. They were with me. The only one that was right was the Chinese calendar. I did it with all my friends that have children and it was right with all of them. Remember to use your lunar age and not your real age at conception. Use your age at conception plus nine months and if you just had a birthday it will stay the same. In most cases you will need to use an age one year older. Note-I am in no way saying this will give accurately give you the sex of your baby.
  • Jul 22, 2007, 07:13 PM
    bekah876
    I looked at this but didn't put in my lunar age. Here is my question. The first day of my last period was May 28th so technically I conceived in June, right?
  • Jul 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
    babieface85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bekah876
    I looked at this but didn't put in my lunar age. Here is my question. The first day of my last period was May 28th so technically I concieved in June, right?

Yes, June sounds right.
  • Jul 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
    bushg
    Take your wedding ring put it on a string. Hold over your tummy. If it swings hortizontal it a boy vertical it's a girl.
  • Jul 23, 2007, 11:43 AM
    AllenS
    Ive also heard that if you crave lots of veggies it's a boy, and if you crave fruits it's a girl.
    That is deff a wives tale as pregnant women, may crave a lot of everything, and some may just have regular eating habits.
    My mom said when she was pregnant with me, she was always hungry, but when she had my older bro, she could care less about a surplus of food. Lol
  • Jul 23, 2007, 11:56 AM
    crystalbivens
    I heard which was very true with both my pregnancys that if your skin stays clear it's a boy but if you break out it's a girl
  • Jul 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
    bekah876
    I read something on the internet about mixing draino with your pee. If it turns green it's a girl, blue is a boy. I actually tried this out of curiousity... mine stayed yellow. I didn't use draino I used some offbrand called drain works. I don't know if that makes a difference. I was just wanting to see it change colors.
  • Jul 23, 2007, 01:07 PM
    AliMarGoo
    To go along with a ring on a string you could also use a sewing needle and put it on a piece of thread. If it moves from side to side then it's a boy and if it moves in a circular motion then it's a girl. The last time I was pregnant I found this old wives tale on the internet.
  • Jul 23, 2007, 01:11 PM
    crystalbivens
    Wanted to add my experience about the belly one, with my son my belly looked like I had taken a basketball and put it up my shirt with my daughter she stayed very low so low in fact when I was due I only looked about 5 months or so.
  • Jul 23, 2007, 01:38 PM
    alkalineangel
    A note about the draino... watch out as this can cause a very powerful and dangerous chemical reaction... just FYI...
  • Jul 23, 2007, 01:48 PM
    crystalbivens
    About the luner thing this baby was conceived in may and I was 23 but I turned 24 in June so my lunar age would be 24 right?
  • Jul 23, 2007, 02:19 PM
    babieface85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalbivens
    about the luner thing this baby was concieved in may and i was 23 but i turned 24 in june so my lunar age would be 24 right?

Yes your lunar age is 24
  • Jul 23, 2007, 02:41 PM
    crystalbivens
    Well if that's the case it says I'm having a girl which I think it may be right with my son I knew he was a boy , with my daughter I knew she was a girl and now this time around I have a strong feeling it's a girl especially since I'm having the same sym.
    I guess only time will tell.
    But its fun guessing
    Oh and it was right about my daughter when I was pregnant with her.
  • Jul 23, 2007, 06:49 PM
    bekah876
    The Chinese lunar calendar says I am having a girl. Everyone around me is convinced it is a boy. We will see what happens, I have a while to go before I find out.
  • Jul 24, 2007, 08:26 AM
    automansgirl
    You can use a ring on a string, a sewing needle, or even a pencil. Back and forth-boy, round in circle-girl. One that has never been wrong in my family is if you don't look pregnant from the back (you still have your curves) it's a boy. If you look pregnant from the back (your curves are gone and you are strait up and down) it's a girl. I still have my curves and the ring on a string swung back and forth and I'm having a boy! I also did the Chinese calendar thing and it said it's a boy.
  • Jul 24, 2007, 08:56 AM
    alkalineangel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bekah876
    The Chinese lunar calendar says I am having a girl. Everyone around me is convinced it is a boy. We will see what happens, I have a while to go before I find out.

How far along are you?
  • Jul 24, 2007, 08:58 AM
    bekah876
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    How far along are you?

I am only 8 weeks along.
  • Jul 24, 2007, 09:30 AM
    crystalbivens
    I'm not one to doubt the chinese luner since so far somehow its been right with both of my kids but, it makes you wonder how could they know I mean after all isn't it the man who produces the sex or is it that the female body only allows certain sexes in at certain months, lol
    Just a thought