Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Gardening & Plants (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=301799)

• Jan 10, 2009, 02:39 PM
    lookylu
    How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down?
    About 2 years ago I had a tree removed from my front yard and the stump ground. I was told that this was enough to kill the remaining roots. However, I don't believe that this is true since the driveway is cracking and splitting even more now than when we had the tree. One side of the crack is about 3 inches higher than the other and continuing to get higher. Also the walkway is slanted to one side. How can I take care of this problem? Is there a tree root killer that I can use at this late date? Thanks for any help you can offer!
  • Jan 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Curlyben
    Drill the stump and pour diesel fuel into the holes.
    This WILL kill it.

It does sound like you might have to dig the larger roots out if they causing this type and amount of damage.
  • Jan 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
    debyrenee
    I had the same problem last year, 4 trees were removed and stumps ground (like that helped, but make a mess) I bought Round-Up concentrated and pulled litle trees coming up, then sprayed almost pure concentrate into the ground where the trees were growing. I had big 5" round trunks and roots coming up underneath a pathway, so I drilled a couple holes in them and filled with the Round-Up. I have not seen anything come back so far. It has been at least 8 months to a year. I live in California, so the growing season is almost all year long. I'm pretty sure they are gone. I was amazed, I thought I would have to do so much more because we have a pool next to the where the trees were.
    Hope this helps, it really helped me and I think I got the info on this site.
  • Jan 13, 2009, 08:09 AM
    susananne

There is stuff you can buy called root kill.. follow instructions and it will die... unfortunatley it may be too late for the root problem.. you may have to dig deep to get them romoved... good luck
  • Jan 13, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Str8stack71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyben View Post
    drill the stump and pour diesel fuel into the holes.
    This will kill it.

It does sound like you might have to dig the larger roots out if they causing this type and amount of damage.

Yes, this does work
  • Feb 1, 2009, 06:39 AM
    bhanna1
    I agree with the person that suggested drilling deep holes (I used a 3/4" bit) and periodically filling them with diesel. Do this for two or three weeks, refilling them as it is absorbed. Then start a charcoal fire and place it right on top of the stump. You will find that the fire will cause all of the roots to burn, eventually turning them to ash. I found that it took several days as the roots just smoldered due to the diesel infusion. You may have to try this after using a type of 'brush killer' such as Brush B Gone by Ortho. One of the talk radio programs that I listen to suggests using Hydrogen Peroxide in the holes, saying that over a period of several years, it would cause the wood to become 'peffey' or rotten like. That's too long to wait in my opinion!