Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Farrah Fawcett dies (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=368959)

• Jun 25, 2009, 12:54 PM
    DoulaLC
    Farrah Fawcett dies
    She certainly gave it a good fight...

Farrah Fawcett Dies
  • Jun 25, 2009, 12:56 PM
    talal-crackdown

Who was she and what happened to her
  • Jun 25, 2009, 01:25 PM
    speechlesstx

Rest in peace...
  • Jun 25, 2009, 01:44 PM
    hheath541

One of the bravest, strongest women of our time. She will be mourned by an entire country. Hopefully she continues to make a difference in the health care system.

Farrah fawcett was one of the original charlie's angels. She was diagnosed with anal cancer in 2006 and fought it almost continuously, using every treatment possible(including takig trips to germany for treatments that aren't available in the usa), since then. She died this morning at the age of 62.

There's a documentary about her fight against cancer that was put together by her and her friends and family. It's compiled almost entirely of home videos, voice overs done by her and her loved ones, and interviews with the people closest to her. It's well worth watching, and one of the most powerful documentaries I have ever seen.

I can't find it online. If anyone does, could you post a link?
  • Jun 25, 2009, 01:58 PM
    DoulaLC

Here's a bit:

Farrah Fawcett Documentary Farrah's Story (Part 1) - iViewTube.com)
  • Jun 25, 2009, 02:56 PM
    earl237
    I grew up watching Charlie's Angels and I thought her performance in the true story "The Burning Bed" was fantastic. I think every guy over 25 fondly remembers watching her when we were young. May she rest in peace.
  • Jun 25, 2009, 02:57 PM
    speechlesstx

Don't look now, but reportedly Michael Jackson died. What a tremendous talent but apparently a tortured soul. Rest in peace Michael.

Personally, I think our biggest loss this week was Ed McMahon...
  • Jun 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
    DoulaLC

I saw that too... some reports are saying he has died, some are saying he is in a coma after suffering a heart attack.
  • Jun 26, 2009, 04:34 AM
    tomder55

http://photos.ecanadanow.com/farrah-...nal-Cancer.jpg
  • Jun 26, 2009, 07:17 PM
    J_9
    It's so sad that her death is overshadowed by that of MJ. Farrah was indeed a fighter. I hope that her cause is not lost over the death of a... well, I'll keep my opinion to myself.
  • Jun 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Clough

Yes, it is sad that her death is over-shadowed by that of Michael Jackson.

They both were very talented and besides that, she didn't have the sort of stigma surrounding her that he had surrounding him.

Thanks!
  • Jun 26, 2009, 07:47 PM
    J_9
    I do hope her cause will be remembered and researched.
  • Jun 26, 2009, 08:11 PM
    startover22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It's so sad that her death is overshadowed by that of MJ. Farrah was indeed a fighter. I hope that her cause is not lost over the death of a....well, I'll keep my personal opinion to myself.

I agree and my oh my I remember that poster in my Daddys garage;)
  • Jun 26, 2009, 09:07 PM
    hheath541
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Yes, it is sad that her death is over-shadowed by that of Michael Jackson.

They both were very talented and besides that, she didn't have the sort of stigma surrounding her that he had surrounding him.

Thanks!

The saddest part is that she made a real difference in the world. She sponsored charities, supported worthy causes, and was the driving force behind more than one reform in the medical community during her fight against cancer. No one seems to care about that.

For several hours the biggest news was that a strong, brave, beautiful woman had lost her fight against a disease she wasn't supposed to have lived to fight against for as long as she did. Then, michael jackson died and all anyone cares about is that a man who recorded a few hit songs before his decline into self-induced physical distortion and reports of child molestation died suddenly.

It's a sad commentary on american culture when the life of someone who lived only for himself is mourned more than the life of someone who did her best to make a difference in as many lives as possible, even when fighting for her own.
  • Jun 27, 2009, 04:51 AM
    DoulaLC

Well it is true Farrah's death and contributions have been overshadowed at this time, but those causes will continue.

Look into it a little more and you'll find that Michael actually had done a great deal of charitable work... he was quietly known for his philanthropy. As for a few hit songs, he has the highest selling album to date and is credited for influencing many of the artists today.

I think the reason his death is more in the news is simply because he was more well known the world over for a longer period. Not as many people are familiar with Farrah Fawcett's work or knew who she was.
  • Jun 27, 2009, 08:19 AM
    N0help4u
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It's so sad that her death is overshadowed by that of MJ. Farrah was indeed a fighter. I hope that her cause is not lost over the death of a....well, I'll keep my personal opinion to myself.

Yeah I wouldn't even have known she died but in the middle of the long media coverage on Michael the news reporter said a very brief... and on the same day as Farrah Fawcetts death. Still haven't heard another single word on her dying until II read this post right now.
  • Jun 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
    shazamataz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't even have known she died but in the middle of the long media coverage on Michael the news reporter said a very brief .......and on the same day as Farrah Fawcetts death. Still haven't heard another single word on her dying til II read this post right now.

Same here, most of the television stations here played MJ tributes all day but I only heard mention of Farrah Fawcett twice for about 5 minutes... very sad.
    I guess Jacksons was more sudden but that does not make it more "important"
  • Jun 27, 2009, 10:10 AM
    N0help4u

The media probably looked at it as FF was a has been and MJ was working on a come back tour.
  • Jun 27, 2009, 10:28 AM
    shazamataz

Very true. Sad how some people think.