Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Science for Children (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   4 states of matter (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=32951)

• Aug 30, 2006, 10:06 AM
    pzaglul
    4 states of matter
    I needinformation and examples of the 4th state of matter, solid liquid, gas, plasma..
  • Aug 31, 2006, 02:22 AM
    RickJ
    The 4th state of matter is plasma. Did you mean examples of "the 4 states of matter" rather than the "4th state of matter"?

H2O is a wonderful example of the first three:
    Solid=ice
    liquid=water
    gas=steam

As for Plasma, it's debated whether it's technically a different state of matter or not as there's nowhere on earth where it's found.

See here for a decent explanation of it for kids:
    http://www.chem4kids.com/files/matter_plasma.html
  • Aug 31, 2006, 04:24 AM
    rudi_in
    Actually, while plasmas are not that common on Earth they are the most abundant state in the universe.

Plasma can be found on Earth as in neon signs and fluorescent lights. These are not natural forms of plasma though. Natural forms would be lightning, stars, and the auroras.

Plasmas exist at extremely low pressures or extremely high temperatures.

Did you know that there is now a 5th state of matter?

Read more
  • Sep 1, 2006, 01:39 AM
    Thomas1970
    Would lava technically qualify as a plasma? I'd be somewhat hesitant to classify it as a liquid myself, though I'm unsure of it's scientific categorization.
  • Dec 5, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Capuchin
    Oh my Thomas. Lava is molten rock, a liquid.

Although you might think of a plasma as a liquid like substance due to media influences, it really isn't.
    It's more similar to a conductive gas.
  • May 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Elizabethheartsmatt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pzaglul
    I need information and examples of the 4th state of matter, solid liquid, gas, plasma..

Same here! :confused:
  • May 19, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Capuchin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabethheartsmatt
    Same here!! :confused:

Read the above answers then :)
  • May 21, 2007, 04:19 PM
    rankrank55
    So what is they fifth state of matter?
  • May 21, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Capuchin
    The most familiar examples of states of matter are solids, liquids, and gases; the most common state of matter in the universe is plasma. Less familiar phases include: quark-gluon plasma; Bose-Einstein condensates and fermionic condensates; strange matter; superfluids and supersolids, and possibly string-net liquids.

They aren't really numbered, so which one is the 4th or 5th is really not defined. The 4th state of matter, in a college physics setting, is normally Plasma.
  • Jun 24, 2007, 06:38 AM
    sovaira
    Ice for solid, water for liquid ,staem for gas and ionized state is for plasma

Well water duznt fit into this plasma ezample that well ,but LASER can stand for am excellent example,, as Light.amplified.stimulated. Amision of radiation (LASER) is an ionized state of atoms that are held in their unstable form and emit radiations used for several purposes... this is taken as an example of plasma state... there r other examples in the universe system as well.
    Tell me if it helped?
  • Jun 24, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Capuchin
    Actually, sovaira, most common lasers use gasses, not plasma.

A good example of a common plasma would be Plasma Televisions, or Neon Tubes, or Fluorescent lights.
  • Jun 24, 2007, 07:02 AM
    sovaira
    Well most of them use
    And this can be taken as an ezample..
  • Jun 24, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Capuchin
    No, most of them use gas.
  • Sep 29, 2010, 06:25 PM
    maryjoy
    This figure shows the four common states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.
  • Sep 29, 2010, 06:26 PM
    maryjoy
    This figure shows the four common states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.
    Consider water as an example. Solid water is ice. Liquid water is, well, water. We call water in its gaseous form "water vapor". A plasma created from water would include electrons, protons (hydrogen atom nuclei), and oxygen atom nuclei (protons and neutrons).

There are special names for most transitions from one state to another. Freezing is turning from a liquid to a solid; melting is turning from a solid to a liquid. The transition from liquid to gas can happen by boiling or evaporation. Condensation is changing from a gas to a liquid.
  • Sep 29, 2010, 06:27 PM
    maryjoy
    Comment on maryjoy's post
    U so smart
  • Oct 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
    shurly12345dogg
    Freaky freaky that's lava baby!
  • Oct 15, 2013, 11:22 AM
    shurly12345dogg
    LolollololololalalalalllavavavavvavavavvavavvaaLAV A