Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   The World has gone Woke mad, even sweets aren't safe... (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=848914)

• Jan 13, 2022, 03:18 PM
    Curlyben
    The World has gone Woke mad, even sweets aren't safe...
    Marks & Spencer: Midget Gems change name after academic's campaign
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC News
    Marks & Spencer has changed the name of its Midget Gems sweets to avoid offending people with dwarfism after a campaign by a Liverpool academic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-59981811

Utterly beggars belief...
  • Jan 13, 2022, 04:05 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Utterly beggars belief...

It shouldn't. "Little people", those with dwarfism, find the term insulting and demeaning. Midget has on ugly history, not unlike the "n" word. For those interested, there's plenty of information on the subject on the net.
  • Jan 13, 2022, 07:14 PM
    talaniman
    Live with a name like the Washington Football Team for a year or too and you'll stop beggaring belief. Gotta go. My Pearl Milling Co. pancakes are ready.
  • Jan 13, 2022, 07:26 PM
    Wondergirl
    dictionary.com --

ADJECTIVE:

Now we have to burn all the books and movies, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (or rename them)? Also, the Elf on the Shelf? Miniature golf?
  • Jan 13, 2022, 08:04 PM
    tomder55
    change the name to 'sweet shrimps '
  • Jan 13, 2022, 08:10 PM
    tomder55
    I bet not one little person was ever offended by the name of the candy . Now this is offensive .

Zac Brown Midget Bowling - YouTube
  • Jan 13, 2022, 09:13 PM
    waltero
    Quote:

Gotta go. My Pearl Milling Co. pancakes are ready.
    Hilarious!

Quote:

Midget has an ugly history, not unlike the "n" word.
    Only now, they own it.
    In the same way; homosexuals took ownership of the word- Gay.

Now we have the dreaded "M" word!
    Who doesn't love it when a midget enters the room? The very word "Midget" brings laughter and joy...own it!
  • Jan 14, 2022, 07:48 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    change the name to 'sweet shrimps '

Sissy name for a football team! 8D
  • Jan 14, 2022, 08:56 AM
    tomder55
    I call the Washington franchise 'The team formerly known as the Redskins '
  • Jan 16, 2022, 07:42 AM
    Athos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Now we have to burn all the books and movies, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (or rename them)?

Dwarf is the preferred term. That was the point of my post. No one is renaming or canceling Dwarf. As someone who supports the various gender issues, I'm surprised at your take.
  • Jan 16, 2022, 08:54 AM
    Curlyben
    This is far more about context than anything else.
    These sweets, clearly are midget in nature and they look like gems, so where's the issue ?
    Surely they would be a problem if they were modeled on people, but they aren't.

What's next, jelly babies promoting cannibalism....
  • Jan 16, 2022, 08:59 AM
    tomder55
    yup gotta change Baby Ruth and Butterfingers too. Rename the candy Tiny Treats
  • Jan 16, 2022, 10:56 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Dwarf is the preferred term. That was the point of my post. No one is renaming or canceling Dwarf. As someone who supports the various gender issues, I'm surprised at your take.

I was being silly!
  • Jan 16, 2022, 11:14 AM
    Athos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I was being silly!

Sorry.

Quote:

This is far more about context than anything else.

Wrong. It's about a discriminated group seeking some level of respect. Not unlike other groups that have been historically discriminated against.
  • Jan 16, 2022, 11:36 AM
    Curlyben
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Wrong. It's about a discriminated group seeking some level of respect. Not unlike other groups that have been historically discriminated against.

So where is the ink between small jelly sweets and people of reduced stature ?
    The term midget is used in far more places than merely to describe people with Dwarfism, granted it does tend to be seen as its derogatory usage that is causing this problem, but this is extremely contextual, unlike many other like terms.
  • Jan 16, 2022, 11:51 AM
    tomder55
    Being offended is the new cool .Victimhood is in .
  • Jan 16, 2022, 12:24 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

The term midget is used in far more places than merely to describe people with Dwarfism, granted it does tend to be seen as its derogatory usage that is causing this problem, but this is extremely contextual, unlike many other like terms.

You are correct. I misread your first post. Sorry.
  • Jan 16, 2022, 01:26 PM
    jlisenbe
    I imagine some navies still use midget submarines. Should they be renamed as well? Tiny submarines? At any rate, it seems that companies don't typically make these decisions on moral grounds. They do so out of fear of the work, or rather "woke", crowd causing a loss of business.
  • Jan 16, 2022, 01:46 PM
    waltero
    Quote:

Being offended is the new cool. Victimhood is in
    In our culture of victimhood, victims can be excused for victimizing others, taking away the rights, freedoms and autonomy of others, in service to their victimization.

It's pretty common, even de rigeur, for felons to proclaim that their history of victimization contributed to their harmful, illegal actions.
    Probably the simplest thing we can do is get offended?
    The question is; do you have a right to get offended?

Know that in every situation you have the choice to either get offended and journey down that self-destructive route called hatred, or simply choose to forgive and move along happily!
  • Jan 16, 2022, 02:48 PM
    tomder55
    yes and in this intersectionality world everyone has the right to be oppressed and the oppressor at the same time .