Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Books & Literature (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   How to write an essay for short story (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=20360)

• Feb 11, 2006, 03:11 AM
    myri
    How to write an essay for short story
    Hello I'm a student ,soon I'll have an exam in literature fiction.I wanted to know how to write an analyse of a short story
  • Feb 11, 2006, 03:52 PM
    phillysteakandcheese
    First - Actually read the story through once or twice.

Second - Read the story again and make notes about it: Is it purely entertainment? Are there parallels to modern society or history? Is there a lesson being taught?

Third - Organize your notes into the body of your essay. Go back if you need to site “proof” about your conclusions. When you go to write about each paragraph or section, you can expand on the ideas you've captured in your notes.
  • Feb 11, 2006, 04:08 PM
    CaptainForest
    First, read the question. What is it that its asking you to analyze?

Then, read the story once through.

Then, read the story a second time, making notes.
  • Feb 13, 2006, 07:56 AM
    myri
    Thanks ,man I hope it will be helpful to me
  • Dec 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
    zoe6611
    Q: OK but I am still confused?
  • Mar 4, 2013, 09:02 AM
    Cheryth
    I hope this will help you. :)

1/- Analyze and identify
    You need to first analyze the story that has been given to you. Evaluate and analyze the characters, the plot and the core idea of the short story. Also identify the theme that the writer is trying to convey in his/her story. Note down the opinions of several literature critics and how they have evaluated and reviewed the story in depth. You will be able to find plenty of materials on the internet. By gathering and analyzing all these opinions, you will be able to write your essay comprehensively.

2/- Understand your research work
    By researching the opinions of other critics and making a comparative study with your own analysis, you can ensure that you have interpreted the writer’s message correctly. Decide on a topic that you think is most suitable to the assignment. Prepare an outline of your analysis as this would help you present your essay in an organized manner.

3/- Write your essay
    Short story essays are written in the same format as any other essay. Structuring your essay is very important as you will be able to present your ideas in a systematic order. A typical essay format consists of an introductory paragraph, the main body and a conclusion.

a/- Introduction – mention the topic of your essay. Present your opinions and arguments in a clear and precise manner.

b/- Main body – present the facts that support your arguments. It is advisable to quote examples from the short story for this purpose.

c/- Conclusion – provide all the important details that you have observed and analyzed.