Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Is it legal for a 16 year old to date a 19 year old in Oregon? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=597233)

• Sep 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
    garrettsgirl
    Is it legal for a 16 year old to date a 19 year old in Oregon?
    We have been dating almost 5 months, and he will be 19 in October, and I will be 17 in June. We aren't sexually active, but my mother always threatens to call the police on him. Would he be in trouble? I don't want him to get into trouble, just because we love each other.
  • Sep 14, 2011, 10:43 AM
    smoothy
    No... he could be arrested and charged with Satutory rape and be considered a sex offender for life if convicted.

Oregon - Age of Consent Laws | Moral Outrage

You can't legally concent in Oregon until 18 according to the law. And at 19 he is legally an adult.
  • Sep 14, 2011, 10:47 AM
    garrettsgirl
    We are just dating.. not having sex.
  • Sep 14, 2011, 10:55 AM
    smoothy
    THe answer remains the same. You are a minor, he is an adult.
    Your mother calls the police, and he is in huge trouble.
  • Sep 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
    garrettsgirl
    Actually, in the details below the question it says, "We aren't sexually active". Many of the laws I have been reading say if you are not having sex, then you can date. But you can't legally have sex because of the age of consent in Oregon is 18. I just want to see what other people can dig up, and make sure my boyfriend doesn't get in trouble because I have a crazy mother.
  • Sep 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
    smoothy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garrettsgirl View Post
    Actually, in the details below the question it says, "We aren't sexually active". Many of the laws I have been reading say if you are not having sex, then you can date. But you can't legally have sex because of the age of consent in Oregon is 18. I just want to see what other people can dig up, and make sure my boyfriend doesn't get in trouble because I have a crazy mother.

That's not how it works under the age of concent law. The minor can't even give concent to date, be driven across a state line... or many other things until they are 18. All the police have to do is catch him out with her after her mother reports him, and he will be sitting in jail awaiting trial. Jail is bad enough... being in jail on a charge of statutory rape of a minor... and he's going to have to request protective custody.

And there have been many guys who have been through that because they "thought" they were doing nothing wrong.
  • Sep 14, 2011, 12:32 PM
    garrettsgirl
    We have consent to date, my mom just likes to make threats when she is mad at me, and ?I don't want to have to be worried about him getting in trouble, since we aren't doing anything wrong and have had consent for almost five months.

• Sep 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
    smoothy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garrettsgirl View Post
    We have consent to date, my mom just likes to make threats when she is mad at me, and ?I don't want to have to be worried about him getting in trouble, since we aren't doing anything wrong and have had consent for almost five months.

Proof you were doing something wrong (beyond the dating part) isn't really needed if the right people decided to pursue it. And all your mom has to do is make a phone call when she's upset and he's in serious trouble.

One thing you have to understand is the law isn't negotiable as everything else might appear to be at your age. He's taking a big risk, with major penalties. And understand that someone other than your mother could turn him in as well. A neighbor... one of your friends, one of his friends or anyone that knows either of you and your ages.