Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Human Resources (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Sabotaging an Employment Opportunity (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=768782)

• Sep 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
    Anonym0usx
    Sabotaging an Employment Opportunity
    How would an HR representative view an anonymous phone call advising them that a potential new hire is a bad choice? I have reason to believe a coworker that does not like me may be attempting to sabotage my employment efforts. My references and experience are all solid.
  • Sep 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
    smoothy
    Anonymous call? They would ignore it... why would they want to believe something unsubstantiated from someone anonymous?
  • Sep 25, 2013, 03:11 PM
    Wondergirl
    I agree with smoothy. HR wouldn't take seriously an anonymous call.
  • Sep 25, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Anonym0usx
    Would you feel the same way if the caller identified themselves? Id
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Anonymous call? They would ignore it....why would they want to believe something unsubstantiated from someone anonymous?

• Sep 25, 2013, 03:45 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonym0usx View Post
    Would you feel the same way if the caller identified themself? Id

How did you find out about this anonymous call? If the caller identified him/herself how is it anonymous?
  • Sep 25, 2013, 03:49 PM
    Anonym0usx
    This hasn't happened, but I fear it may. I don't know if she'd identify herself or not, so I want to cover all possibilities.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    How did you find out about this anonymous call? If the caller identified him/herself how is it anonymous?

• Sep 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

This hasn't happened, but I fear it may. I don't know if she'd identify herself or not, so I want to cover all possibilities.

So you're paranoid?

If this hasn't happened, what makes you think it will? You provide a lot of detail for something that hasn't happened yet.
  • Sep 25, 2013, 04:09 PM
    smoothy
    If there is any truth in what they will reveal... there really isn't anything to do but face it when the time comes.

You are bound to come across others in your working career that will do this.

The more paranoid you look... then more guilty you will look. Meaning... the person who over reacts to an accusation is likely guilty of it.
  • Sep 25, 2013, 04:38 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    A real professional HR person, would ask for proof and include that in their back ground check. If the person gave their name and position. Also they would have to provide facts
  • Sep 25, 2013, 04:53 PM
    joypulv
    I find it interesting that you think an HR rep is different from anyone else, you or I. Some may listen; some may not. Some may listen and not give it any credence. Some may even consider a negative comment from a coworker enough of an intrusion and unethical act that the coworker might end up getting fired. A lot of that depends not just on the expertise and wisdom of the rep, but also on the training they have received in their job.

What is common in HR is getting negative reports from former employers when getting history. That's one reason why many companies don't give out any info except dates of work and status upon leaving, and maybe salary. Too many employers get vindictive just because someone quit, or there is some personality difference in a small company.

In short, a coworker who goes to HR about you is asking to lose her or his own job, but who knows? You probably have a better idea of what your HR dept is like.
  • Sep 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
    N0help4u
    What I am not following is
    --potential new hire
    --anonymous call from co-worker

The way this is worded sounds like you are looking to get a job and you are afraid that this call worker is going to call where you want to be hired and bad mouth you. Sounds like they would be sabotaging themselves by causing you, someone they don't like, to have to continue being their co-worker.

What part am I missing?
  • Sep 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Anonym0usx
    They would have to pick up my shifts (any after my two week notice) until my current employer found my replacement.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    What I am not following is
    --potential new hire
    --anonymous call from co-worker

The way this is worded sounds like you are looking to get a job and you are afraid that this call worker is going to call where you want to be hired and bad mouth you. Sounds like they would be sabotaging their self by causing you, someone they don't like, to have to continue being their co-worker.

What part am I missing?

• Sep 25, 2013, 06:53 PM
    odinn7
    Quote:

They would have to pick up my shifts (any after my two week notice) until my current employer found my replacement.

Ok, let's see if I have this...

You are worried that someone you work with now will call a future employer of yours to sabotage your getting hired so they don't have to fill in for you if you leave... is that it?

Simple solution... don't tell anyone where you work that you are applying for a new job and when it is time to say you're leaving, just don't tell employees where you're going.
  • Sep 25, 2013, 06:58 PM
    Anonym0usx
    I didn't tell them. I happen to work with my mother and she did.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Ok, let's see if I have this...

You are worried that someone you work with now will call a future employer of yours to sabotage your getting hired so they don't have to fill in for you if you leave....is that it?

Simple solution....don't tell anyone where you work that you are applying for a new job and when it is time to say you're leaving, just don't tell employees where you're going.

• Sep 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

I didn't tell them. I happen to work with my mother and she did.

So your mother is trying to sabotage you?

I don't understand what the problem is here. You assume that one of your co-workers is going to try to sabotage you while you're applying to other places. So don't tell anyone, including your mom. If they don't know where you're applying, they can't call and sabotage you. If they do what you think they're going to do, then hopefully the HR person at the new possible employment will verify what they said about you before deciding not to hire you.

Your entire thread is based on things that you think might happen, not what's actually happened. Come back when something happens, then maybe we can help, but we can't help you to stop being paranoid.
  • Sep 25, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    You did tell someone, your mother, tell NO ONE, if you do not want anyone to know.

But honestly it sounds like you have made this entire story up in your mind, things like this seldom happen. Esp for minor issues like you have mentioned.

No one at a old work place should ever know you are looking for a new job. If your mother told other people, what was she thinking. If the current company knows you are looking, they are likely to even fire you and hire someone new,
  • Sep 26, 2013, 03:21 AM
    joypulv
    You put people here in a mostly hypothetical situation, without telling nearly enough of the details. It's like asking us if you bought a Jaguar, what are the chances a coworker would slash your tires out of spite.

Bottom line is that a good HR person would not listen to a random caller. But you can't know.
    And why aren't you taking this all up with your mother?