Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   State Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Calif.), the fierce opponent of gay rights comes out (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=456107)

• Mar 9, 2010, 08:05 AM
    NeedKarma
    State Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Calif.), the fierce opponent of gay rights comes out
    State Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Calif.), the fierce opponent of gay rights who was arrested last week for drunk driving after leaving a gay nightclub, confirmed in a radio interview Monday that he is gay.

"Ashburn, who is divorced, claimed his crusade against proposed gay-rights laws in the California statehouse stemmed from his desire to vote the way his constituents wanted."

Real story: Like many closeted homosexuals in government that we recently saw come out of the woodworks, he figured the more anti-gay you act, the less people will think you're gay.

I'm beginning to think that all anti-gay Republican candidates are, in fact, gay.

There's nothing wrong with being gay, but when you deny it and take the "superior morale high ground" against it, that's complete hypocrisy.
  • Mar 9, 2010, 08:09 AM
    tomder55

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with being gay, but when you deny it and take the "superior morale high ground" against it, that's complete hypocrisy.
    Yup... in Kalifornia you would think being gay would be a political plus.
  • Mar 9, 2010, 08:15 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    yup ... in Kalifornia you would think being gay would be a political plus.

Where is "Kalifornia"?
  • Mar 9, 2010, 08:24 AM
    tomder55

Urban Dictionary: kalifornia
  • Mar 9, 2010, 08:30 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

That makes no sense whatsoever. I'm surprised you frequent Urban Dictionarry. I didn't think it fit with your religious leanings. Hey maybe you're this? Urban Dictionary: teabagging I'm sure Roy was into it. :D
  • Mar 9, 2010, 08:35 AM
    tomder55

Making fun of gays again ?
  • Mar 9, 2010, 08:42 AM
    NeedKarma
    No, you can keep on teabagging, sorry for the disruption.
  • Mar 9, 2010, 10:29 AM
    excon
    Quote:

yup ... in Kalifornia you would think being gay would be a political plus.

Hello tom:

It could even be a plus in NY? Isn't that where YOU live? Aren't you a virulent anti gay sort?

excon
  • Mar 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
    tomder55

I am not anti-gay at all.
  • Mar 9, 2010, 10:42 AM
    excon
    Quote:

I am not anti-gay at all.

Hello again, tom:

Funny. I seem to remember your being a foe of gay people getting married. If that's NOT anti gay, I don't know what is.

excon
  • Mar 9, 2010, 12:23 PM
    tomder55

I oppposed the Equal Rights Amendment too. Did that make me anti-women ?

Well here's a clue . If I was in Ashburn's district ,knowing his orientation I would have voted for him .The shocking part isn’t that he’s gay, it’s that he actually votes the way his constituents want him to .
  • Mar 9, 2010, 12:27 PM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

Quote:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
    Ya, that's something nasty to be opposed to. :rolleyes:

Did the senator poll his constituents?
  • Mar 9, 2010, 01:12 PM
    tomder55

There was no need for it nor is there a separate equal rights amendment needed for every special interest group.
    The fact is that not only did it fail nationally ;but also attempts to get states to encorporate it into their constitutions also failed .
  • Mar 9, 2010, 01:47 PM
    excon
    Quote:

Hello again, tom:

Uhhhh, yeah! Certainly, if you don't believe they should get the same pay for the same work. THAT'S what the Equal Rights Amendment was about.

And, clearly you're anti-gay if you don't believe they should have the same rights you do.

excon
  • Mar 9, 2010, 04:33 PM
    tomder55

I don't want to rehash the gay marrriage issue . Mine and your position has not changed. So for reasons previously stated I don't think gay marriage is an equal rights issue.
  • Mar 9, 2010, 06:38 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

Uhhhh, yeah! Certainly, if you don't believe they should get the same pay for the same work. THAT'S what the Equal Rights Amendment was about.

And, clearly you're anti-gay if you don't believe they should have the same rights you do.

excon

Since you brought it up. What is equal work forequal pay really mean to you? Ive seen so many distortions Im just curious how you define it ?
  • Mar 9, 2010, 09:34 PM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Since you brought it up. What is equal work forequal pay really mean to you? Ive seen so many distortions Im just curious how you define it ?

Hi

This sort of thing is an issue that has been debated in many places for many years. It means that where persons of either gender are employed doing the same work they should be paid at the same rate for completing those tasks. This does not prevent an employer from paying a premium for additional qualifications where a person can add value to the task

What it doesn't mean is that on every occasion for every task the rate of pay of a male or female will be the same. Eg; professional functions can have different rates applied where there is an obvious difference in qualification and experience

What I have seen done is that there is a base rate for a task or classification and there are increments for a number of years experience or an additional qualification so that a male or female at entry level would be paid at the same rate, etc
  • Mar 10, 2010, 04:35 AM
    tomder55

Quote:

Did the senator poll his constituents?
    The Senator said his votes"reflect the wishes of the people in my district."He has been a State Sen since 2002. Evidently the people of his district were happy with his votes.
  • Mar 14, 2010, 12:48 PM
    twinkiedooter

Ashburn is just a typical politician talking out of both sides of his mouth saying anything and doing anything to get elected or reelected. Washington is full of such people. Do one thing, say another, and deny everything.

NK, don't they have such swell politicians up there in Canada who do just the same thing? Bet they are up there in office. They are everywhere - not just in the USA.
  • Mar 14, 2010, 02:07 PM
    tomder55

Except he is a state Senator