Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Child & Teen Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Pregnant teen (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=821716)

• Feb 13, 2016, 11:17 PM
    judylolivas
    Pregnant teen
    Is it safe for my 18 year old daughter that is pregnant to attend beauty school due to all the chemicals with hair rsolutions in nails
  • Feb 14, 2016, 12:44 AM
    J_9
    There are many pregnant cosmetologists. As long as her learning environment is well ventilated she should be fine.
  • Feb 14, 2016, 02:22 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    And unless there is other health problems that this work could affect. While I do not see any problem is it is well vented (as noted above) it is always good for her to talk with her own doctor.
  • Feb 14, 2016, 04:28 PM
    Alty
    J_9 is an OB nurse, so she knows her stuff. I do have one concern though.

Pregnant women are told not to color their hair because it's dangerous during pregnancy. Now I realize that it's because the hair dye is going on the head, and going into pores, and can, I'm guessing, go into the blood stream? Maybe it's not only about the fumes?

But, I have to ask, if it's not safe to dye your hair during pregnancy, is it safe to do dye jobs, possibly one or more a day, during pregnancy, even in a well ventilated room?

How far along is she? Could she put off beauty school until after the baby is born? That's what I would do, just to be safe. There are so many things that we don't know about, that can cause long term effects. I would err on the side of caution. But that's just me.

She should definitely discuss this with her doctor.
  • Feb 14, 2016, 07:29 PM
    DoulaLC
    There is much debate on using hair dye when pregnant. Many believe that any risk would be extremely minimal or unlikely, and consider it okay. Some will be more cautious and only dye their hair after the first trimester, and some prefer to hold off until after baby is born.

With limited research on the subject, it often comes down to the midwife's or doctor's recommendation and/or the mother's comfort level.

I would say that in addition to training in a well ventilated environment, being diligent with wearing gloves would also be wise.
  • Feb 17, 2016, 07:52 AM
    LearningAsIGo
    It might be wise to use a simple mask when using chemicals like hair dye and nail polish, acetone, etc. but it's probably not a serious risk. Just a quick call to her doctor's office should answer those types of questions.
  • Feb 17, 2016, 09:06 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    J_9 is an OB nurse, so she knows her stuff. I do have one concern though.

Pregnant women are told not to color their hair because it's dangerous during pregnancy. Now I realize that it's because the hair dye is going on the head, and going into pores, and can, I'm guessing, go into the blood stream? Maybe it's not only about the fumes?

But, I have to ask, if it's not safe to dye your hair during pregnancy, is it safe to do dye jobs, possibly one or more a day, during pregnancy, even in a well ventilated room?

How far along is she? Could she put off beauty school until after the baby is born? That's what I would do, just to be safe. There are so many things that we don't know about, that can cause long term effects. I would err on the side of caution. But that's just me.

She should definitely discuss this with her doctor.

The concern is with adequate ventilation. Also, the hormonal changes affect the shaft of the hair, so hair colors may not take right, perms may take faster or longer, it's on an individual basis.

Again, the main concern is adequate ventilation.