Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   History (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Tecumseh (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=26277)

• May 18, 2006, 07:52 AM
    ttzippe85
    Tecumseh
    Can someone please tell me how to pronounce the Native American name Tecumsh? Thanks!
  • May 18, 2006, 07:56 AM
    ScottGem
    I think its tee-kum-suh

Tecumseh - Facts from the Encyclopedia - Yahoo! Education
  • May 18, 2006, 08:09 AM
    J_9
    I thought it was T-come-suh. The t is pronounced like the t in telephone, not like the t in tea.
  • May 18, 2006, 08:21 AM
    ttzippe85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottGem

Thank you so much, your reply really helped us. Our students are studying the history of the US and we had no idea how to pronounce this name
  • May 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
    J_9
    I took American History I this semester in college and my earlier post was how our professor said was the correct pronunciation.

Also, Tecumseh is from around the Ohio area and I used to go see an outdoor play that was put on when I was younger.

However, it may have a lot to do with location and dialect.
  • May 18, 2006, 08:36 AM
    ttzippe85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9
    I took American History I this semester in college and my earlier post was how our professor said was the correct pronunciation.

Also, Tecumseh is from around the Ohio area and I used to go see an outdoor play that was put on when I was younger.

However, it may have a lot to do with location and dialect.

Thank you for the insight, it is greatly appreciated!
  • May 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9
    I thought it was T-come-suh. The t is pronounced like the t in telephone, not like the t in tea.

According to that page I linked its ti-kum-se. I believe ti is pronounced tee, but it may be more like tuh.
  • May 18, 2006, 08:59 AM
    J_9
    Yeah, it is more like tuh! I have a silly little habit about spelling and pronunciation.
  • May 18, 2006, 09:07 AM
    RickJ
    Fyi, the outdoor drama Tecumseh is still alive and well and very popular here in Ohio. They're in their 34th season! I go about every 5 years:

Tecumseh! The ULTIMATE Outdoor Drama Experience - Chillicothe, Ohio
  • May 18, 2006, 09:11 AM
    J_9
    34th season huh! Wow, I musst have been at the first one LOL, really and truly.

Hey do they still have Ludlow Falls lit up at Christmas?
  • May 18, 2006, 09:19 AM
    RickJ
    I don't know. I haven't been there. In fact, I'd never heard of it; had to mapquest it to see where it is :p
  • May 18, 2006, 09:21 AM
    J_9
    I believe it is around the Springfield area, but it has been about 34 years, I was only 7 at the time so I don't remember.
  • May 18, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Tommyp!972
    Tecumseh - yourDictionary.com - American Heritage Dictionary