Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Construction (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=163966)

• Dec 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
    bandito
    Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation?
    Centex home less than 1 1/2 years old.

Pock marks all over foundation. One is really bad at the top of the control joint. It has spread to about 2 inches.. with more about to come off.. and at one point I can stick my finger into a hole up to my knuckle right underneath the siding.

Clearly this is a huge problem. I have called in Centex to look at it and am waiting on the warranty guy to come out... BUT...
    What do I do and what do I ask for.

I am really hacked off because they built a 2440 sq. foot home on a piss poor foundation.

The date on my driveway says March but I don't know if they pour the driveway later or at the same time as the foundation.
  • Dec 18, 2007, 09:35 PM
    450donn
    Not exactly sure what you are calling spalling? However concrete ages, and as it does so it can and will change color. Only reasons that I know of to call it faulty is that the concrete is crumbling or gaping cracks.
  • Dec 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
    ballengerb1
    Do you know when your foundation was poured? I'd go back in the newspaper records for that date and check the daily temperature. The concrete guys may have over done a load of calcium in the mix because of extreme tempertures. That will cause spalding. You can expect Centex to be less than helpful since they will not jump at the chance of admitting error. If things get too bad you may need to consult an engineer or your city building department. I'd be totally hacked too.
  • Dec 20, 2007, 07:39 PM
    bandito
    The concrete is coming off and the crack by this one control joint is perpendicular.
    There are two colors of concrete around that area but other areas also have these pock marks and it is definitely crumbling. The pock marks are all around the foundation on all three sides.. some worse than others. I can stick my finger in this hole in the concrete right under the siding to my knuckle.

Who do I ask to run a sample (can it be done) to determine if the concrete pourers used substandard material or are at fault.

Driveway pour date has march imprinted on it but not sure if they poured all at the same time... so it was during the colder temperatures.
  • Dec 22, 2007, 08:46 AM
    ballengerb1
    This where it can get expensive. You may need a structural engineer to determine if the foundation is in danger of failing. Looking bad and spalding isn't enough to force the concrete folks to make a repair. If an enginer says it has failed then you should first ask the concrete company to make their own assessment and then you move accordingly based on their response. You would likely need to get an attorney if the concrete company says nothing will be done. All concrete cracks but what you have described beyond the norm.