Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Tools & Power Equipment (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=334)
-   -   Craftsman model#31A-3BDE799 Snow Blower 5.5hp (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=185363)

• Feb 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Rod Tell
    Craftsman model#31A-3BDE799 Snow Blower 5.5hp
    The snowblower is two years old and when the bar to engage the auger is held down the auger will not rotate. Any ideas?
  • Feb 18, 2008, 10:24 AM
    ballengerb1
    Craftsman blowers employ a belt to drive the auger. Open up the housing and check you belt, It is either broken or it has come off the idler pulley.
  • Feb 19, 2008, 05:41 PM
    MOWERMAN2468
    Is there a chance of a shear pin ballengerb1?
  • Feb 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
    ballengerb1
    Craftsman uses shear pins on their auger blowers and their roto tillers so yes, there is a chance. I go with belts first, when you hear hoofs think horses not zebras.
  • Feb 22, 2008, 05:56 AM
    kgl1919
    That's an MTD unit, it'll have an auger belt and 4 shear pins for each auger section and it's doubtful they all broke at once. If none of the augers turn, it'll be the belt or the gearbox between the augers.
  • Dec 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Rod Tell
    12-16-08

I have a Craftsman Snowblower Model#31A-3BDE799 with 5HP Engine. My question is when it snows 3-4 inches of wet snow the wet snow plugs in the throw chute and instantly clogs up. Is there a solution to this problem? As a side note when the snow is light and puffy the blower works perfectly.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 06:35 AM
    jchild40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kgl1919 View Post
    That's an MTD unit, it'll have an auger belt and 4 shear pins for each auger section and it's doubtful they all broke at once. If none of the augers turn, it'll be the belt or the gearbox between the augers.

Is this a two stage machine? If so, see if the second stage (that throws the snow up the shoot) is still spinning. I've checked this on mine by engaging the auger in front of a mirror. If it is spinning, and the augers are not, then it's the gear box between them. There is a worm gear in there that has it's teeth ground down.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 06:38 AM
    jchild40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Tell View Post
    12-16-08

I have a Craftsman Snowblower Model#31A-3BDE799 with 5HP Engine. My question is when it snows 3-4 inches of wet snow the wet snow plugs in the throw chute and instantly clogs up. Is there a solution to this problem? As a side note when the snow is light and puffy the blower works perfectly.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

It is typical of a 5hp machine to get clogged with the heavy, wet snow. Try buying some spray on wax, they make some specifically for this function.
  • Jan 3, 2011, 07:17 PM
    PAT1946
    Try spraying pam on the inside of the chute before using it will help keep the snow from sticking to the chute . It may sound a little crazy but it works . Good luck