Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Further Education (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=343)
-   -   What decision should I make about on-campus housing? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=91405)

• May 10, 2007, 08:11 PM
    tombabula
    What decision should I make about on-campus housing?
    I talked with my mother and she is worried that I''ll get so in debt in the end that I will be paying 20 or 30 years! I agree I should take as minimum as possible, but I would prefer to live on campus so I would get better off with college. Besides sometimes situation at home is not stable, sometimes my parents argue and they even argued after midnight until 2:00 am. So I am little bit more worried about how I'll do at school, but loan issue is important to me too and I cannot just ignore it. To make her more calm I told I could pay interest while in school, but then she pointed out I do not yet have good job and they as parents cannot guarantee that they'll get enough to pay for my school. Currently I have some job, but I am looking for better on campus or in downtown close to school that would pay
    Better and be less hard. Currently I am freshman in private college, 20 years old with annual cost of tuition 23,850. Next year I will be sophomore and my current debt is $3000 (Stafford + PLUS loan) the rest I got covered with grants.My school uses quarter system and it is possible I may graduate in next 2 years.

The cost of campus including meal plan is around 10,000 (not including summer).
    I am looking for scholarship but of course winning them is not guaranteed and probably won't get any soon.
  • Sep 7, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Jack2794
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tombabula
    I talked with my mother and she is worried that I''ll get so in debt in the end that I will be paying 20 or 30 years! I agree I should take as minimum as possible, but I would prefer to live on campus so I would get better off with college. Besides sometimes situation at home is not stable, sometimes my parents argue and they even argued after midnight until 2:00 am. So I am little bit more worried about how I'll do at school, but loan issue is important to me too and I cannot just ignore it. To make her more calm I told I could pay interest while in school, but then she pointed out I do not yet have good job and they as parents cannot guarantee that they'll get enough to pay for my school. Currently I have some job, but I am looking for better on campus or in downtown close to school that would pay
    better and be less hard. Currently I am freshman in private college, 20 years old with annual cost of tuition 23,850. Next year I will be sophomore and my current debt is $3000 (Stafford + PLUS loan) the rest I got covered with grants.My school uses quarter system and it is possible I may graduate in next 2 years.

the cost of campus including meal plan is around 10,000 (not including summer).
    I am looking for scholarship but of course winning them is not guaranteed and probably won't get any soon.

Ok first of all you have to spend 2 years at college and if I was you I would think which environment will I be able to study in better? After all if you do well at college you'll get a really good job and stuff, so you should be able to pay. If you think that you will work better at the on capus housing it will probably pay off tospendthe extra money. However if you think you wll be able to cope working at your current home do that and save the money. J