Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Turning off the "service engine soon" light on Chevy (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=308022)

• Jan 24, 2009, 02:01 PM
    mrscoltweaver
    Turning off the "service engine soon" light on Chevy
    We just got a 1998 Chevy Suburban with a 350 in it. It needed a little tweaking so we did it ourselves including changing the oil. I know when a Lube Place does that, they are able to hit the switch. Isn't there a trick to getting it to go off? All systems are sound, everything else is great. I seem to remember something like turning the key on without cranking the motor, put it in a gear, and hold down a button... does anyone know how to do it without having to unhook the battery? Thanks!
  • Jan 24, 2009, 02:28 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey

Attach a code reader or scan tool to the Data Link Connector under the dash. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.
  • Jan 24, 2009, 09:10 PM
    damdash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Attach a code reader or scan tool to the Data Link Connector under the dash. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.

Wouldn't pulling the fuse for the ecm do the trick? AZ and has stop clearing the codes because of federal regulations or something so the fuse or the battery is only way for me.
  • Jan 24, 2009, 09:26 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey

On simple cars, like my Civic without an immobilizer system, it's safe to do that. However, some cars can go into "lock-down" mode or certain settings can be lost and adversely affect performance, which annoys some drivers. Likewise, if the negative battery cable is removed, some people don't record radio codes first and it creates a big problem. Code readers are now reasonable enough that most people should really own one, especially for OBD II vehicles.
  • Jan 24, 2009, 10:14 PM
    ISneezeFunny

On some cars, not sure about the chevy, but if you hold the odometer reset button while starting the car (assuming you have a digital odometer) and continuing to hold it until the check engine light goes off works.

I drive a 2003 acura and that's how I usually do it.
  • Jan 24, 2009, 10:46 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Well to reset the "change oil" light, on my Chev, you turn the key on without starting it, and press the gas pedal down three times quickly.
  • Jan 25, 2009, 07:38 AM
    CaptainRich

We're talking about the "service engine soon" light.
    That indicates a Diagnostic Trouble code (DTC) is stored in the Engine Control Module (ECM) to show that something is allowing excessive emissions.
    Nothing to do with oil changes or pulling fuses.
    AND it's not about just turning off the light.
    It's about something on your car is broke.
    If something has failed or gone significantly out of normal operating range, the light comes on the alert you that something needs fixed.

Get the code(s) read any where you want and let us know what is found.

Also, a little more info about exactly what did you "tweak"...
  • Jan 25, 2009, 01:51 PM
    johnny58

Your '98 Suburban has OBD II diagnostics. The ONLY way to turn out the lite is with a scan tool. Sears Craftsman Tools has them on sale periodically.
  • Jan 25, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Maybe, he original poster has not came back, and he was referencing that the oil change place would do it for him. So my opinion was he was merely miscalling it in the post if the oil change place always did it for him by some "switch"
  • Nov 12, 2011, 08:33 AM
    buggs0471
    I am referring to the service engine soon not the check engine light.there is a procedure just can not remember and have lost my manual.
  • Nov 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
    CaptainRich
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buggs0471 View Post
    i am refering to the service engine soon not the check engine light.there is a proceedure just can not remember and have lost my manual.

Ibuggs0471, if your "service engine light" is amber or yellow, that is for a maintenance service interval and the reset procedure is different for each car line and even differs from model to model.

Tell us what you drive:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...le-303903.html
  • Nov 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    To reset a Suburban's Service Engine Light, I turn the ignition switch to ON, slowly depress the accelerator pedal 3 times in 5 seconds, and then turn it OFF.