Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Research (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   Chicken or the egg? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=109694)

• Jul 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Treydog84
    Chicken or the egg?
    Does anyone know which one came first the chicken or the egg? Or is anyone ever going to find out what the answer is? Here's another one " If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and noone is around does it make a sound?" I would like to see how everyone responds to these.

Have a Grrreeeaaattt Day! :D
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
    XenoSapien
    The chicken. She came from a galaxy very far away, laid an egg on earth, then flew back and left the egg to confuse people with that very question.

No, the tree didn't make a sound because a tree will not perform for an empty theater.

XenoSapien
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:16 PM
    rankrank55
    Too funny Xeno! In my opinion the chicken came first from evolution from some sort of single-celled critter. Of course a tree still makes a noise when it falls and no one is around! ;)
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
    rankrank55
    Aahhh but check out this website... CNN.com - Chicken and egg debate unscrambled - May 26, 2006
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:23 PM
    XenoSapien
    Lol. I'll check out the site!

XenoSapien
  • Jul 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
    asking
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Treydog84
    Does anyone know which one came first the chicken or the egg? Or is anyone ever gonna find out what the answer is?

I've actually thought about this and so I am going to answer this seriously. :) The egg had to come first. (And there is no answer. :) )

The way evolution works, a mutant sperm and mutant egg joined together to make a fertilized egg (called a "zygote"), which developed into the first chicken. That animal had some kind of difference from its parents that made it a chicken and its parents not chickens. It made more chickens, while its cousins went on making non-chickens.

In reality, it's unlikely that the change from non chicken to chicken happened in a single generation. It was probably MUCH more gradual than that. So there's no point in the evolution of chickens where you can draw a precise line and say, HERE is THE first chicken. Still, if it COULD happen in one generation, the answer would be the egg.

The real problem is the question. Sometimes a question can't be answered because it assumes something that isn't true--like "When did you stop beating your wife?" If you've never had a wife or never beaten your wife, it's impossible to answer that question. "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" is that kind of question. :rolleyes:
  • Jul 15, 2007, 02:17 PM
    albear
    I would have thought the egg because it would be a mutation from something similar to a chicken
  • Jul 18, 2007, 03:27 PM
    asking
    Quote:

Originally Posted by albear
    i would have thought the egg because it would be a mutation from something similar to a chicken

Um. That's what I was trying to say.
    Only you said it in one line.:)
  • Jul 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Thomas1970
    That might depend on which side of the road the first egg was found on. If indeed the chicken did cross, perhaps now we know why? Food for thought! ;)
    As for the tree... Of course not, it landed on the Sasquatch! :rolleyes:
  • Jul 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
    DrJ
    Definitely the egg came first. All the way up the line to the first chicken (whether it was in this galaxy or another), it came from an egg. Even if some other creature (mutated, evolving, or whatever) laid it, if it contained the first chicken, it was indeed a chicken egg.

And yes, the tree makes a SOUND... however, it does not make a NOISE.

For a sound is a disturbance of mechanical energy that propagates through matter as a wave.

A noise is a fluctuation in, and the addition of, external factors to the stream of target information (or a signal) that is being being received at a detector (a person or anything else that is there to HEAR it).

Cases closed...

:cool: