Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Health & Wellness (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Does eating food from a microwave give you cancer? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=747514)

• May 5, 2013, 03:15 PM
    Does eating food from a microwave give you cancer?
    I always avoid using my microwave because I think that eating the food heated with it causes microwave radiation to destroy cells from the inside of my body and lead to cancer. Am I just being stupid, or am I right to feel this way to some extent?
  • May 5, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Wondergirl
    You must also then refuse dental x-rays or an MRI or a cat scan or traveling by plane?

Dr. Oz's site says --

Q: Does using a microwave increase my risk of cancer?

A: While it's true that microwave ovens emit tiny amounts of radiation, studies have shown that they're not nearly enough to cause cancer. A microwave could cause other injuries (like burns or cataracts), but only if it's been damaged and starts leaking large amounts of radiation—an unlikely occurrence. If you're worried your appliance may be faulty, replace it, or ask your state health department to test your level of exposure.

Read more: Dr. Oz - Risks of Cancer and Microwaves - Oprah.com

My mother has used one for years and is 89. My mil used one for years and died of old age at 93. During my lifetime, reports come and go that nearly everything causes cancer. The big scare some years ago was that charring food during grilling causes cancer. The world still grills.
  • May 6, 2013, 07:50 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You must also then refuse dental x-rays or an MRI or a cat scan or traveling by plane?

Dr. Oz's site says --

Q: Does using a microwave increase my risk of cancer?

A: While it's true that microwave ovens emit tiny amounts of radiation, studies have shown that they're not nearly enough to cause cancer. A microwave could cause other injuries (like burns or cataracts), but only if it's been damaged and starts leaking large amounts of radiation—an unlikely occurrence. If you're worried your appliance may be faulty, replace it, or ask your state health department to test your level of exposure.

Read more: Dr. Oz - Risks of Cancer and Microwaves - Oprah.com

My mother has used one for years and is 89. My mil used one for years and died of old age at 93. During my lifetime, reports come and go that nearly everything causes cancer. The big scare some years ago was that charring food during grilling causes cancer. The world still grills.

Thank you, luckily, I have never needed x-rays or cat scans :)
  • May 6, 2013, 07:53 AM
    Wondergirl
    You've never had dental x-rays?
  • May 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You've never had dental x-rays?

No, I have perfect teeth. I don't even have any fillings. I just get my teeth checked by my dentist every 6 months
  • May 13, 2013, 09:04 PM
    teacherjenn4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1102568 View Post
    No, I have perfect teeth. I don't even have any fillings. I just get my teeth checked by my dentist every 6 months

Even young children have x-rays. Many things can't be seen with just an oral examination. I find this odd.
  • May 14, 2013, 01:43 AM
    joypulv
    Microwaves heat food and 'die' completely and instantly upon hitting the sides of the oven. They don't live past one bounce. They don't alter food anymore than a gas stove, electric stove, wood stove, or campfire - heat is heat. They ONLY way they can hurt someone is by getting straight out of the machine aimed directly at you. Modern microwaves (since the 60s) have so many built in protections. Mine wouldn't work at all when there was a thin piece of clear plastic slammed in the door, so thin I didn't even see it.

You are in more danger from the fumes from natural gas or propane or wood smoke. You are in more danger from living in a high rise building, the heights at which microwave transmitters send their waves from tower to tower for things like cell phones. You are more in danger from living near an electric power line tower. You are more in danger from formaldehyde in building products, carpeting, and clothing (yes, it is used on fabrics). I could go on and on.
  • May 14, 2013, 02:57 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1102568 View Post

While I can believe you have avoided medical x-rays or cat scans, I cannot believe you have avoided dental x-rays. Dental x-rays are SOP for your 6 month exam whether you have a history of perfect teeth or not. I can't imagine a dentist who would not do them at some point.

Do you also not use a cell phone?
  • May 14, 2013, 06:41 AM
    JudyKayTee
    I find this whole explanation to be odd - perfect teeth or not, never a dental x-ray? Never a chest x-ray? Not for college? Not for anything?