Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cooking (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Resurfacing a cast iron skillet (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=407892)

• Oct 20, 2009, 05:17 AM
    KBC
    Resurfacing a cast iron skillet
    For the last few months the cast iron cookware skillet has had the food sticking to the bottom,how can I resurface the pan so my food won't stick, cleaned and oiled after every use,but the corned beef hash just adheres to the pan,not browning:(help!!
  • Oct 20, 2009, 05:34 AM
    tickle

I would give it a good going over with steel wool and then heat and oil again. You must never wash cast iron in soapy water. Rinse in very hot water and wipe out with a paper towel.

Tick
  • Oct 20, 2009, 05:49 AM
    Scleros
    If the cookware is old and has had heavy use, more aggression may be needed. I recently sandblasted my cast iron wok whose coating had grown too thick and was pitting and cracking. Couple of oil application cycles in the oven and it is good again.
  • Oct 20, 2009, 06:19 AM
    KBC

Thank you both,I'll try cleaning and oven cycles:)
  • Oct 20, 2009, 06:22 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    If the cookware is old and has had heavy use, more aggression may be needed. I recently sandblasted my cast iron wok whose coating had grown too thick and was pitting and cracking. Couple of oil application cycles in the oven and it is good again.

You really sandblasted? Would a power wash work as well? I have the same problem Ken does, and I have been avoiding using my cast iron skillets because of it.
  • Oct 20, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Scleros
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You really sandblasted? Would a power wash work as well?

I don't know, maybe, I don't have a power washer or I would have tried it. My coating was pitted, cracked, charred, and flaking off in chunks in the food. I quit using the wok a year ago and have tried the following to cut the coating:
    • Soft scrub and elbow grease
    • Baking soda and elbow grease
    • Alcohol and elbow grease (works but takes ALOT of elbow grease)
    • ProPrep paint scraper (works, slow)
    • Cordless drill and wire brush (works, slow)
    • Cordless drill and 3M paint stripper wheel (works, less slow)

The paint stripper wheel worked the best, but still was fairly slow and left a film of the old coating. I was prepared to buy a new wok, but I had acquired a new blast cabinet and was wanting to play so I gave the wok a go. If you decide to do this, thoroughly scrub and rinse the item afterward with a brush to eliminate any dust residue. I rinsed mine with degreaser in a parts washer, vacuumed, and air blasted with an air compressor. Also note that once blasted it will rust just by looking at it - recoat as soon as possible.
  • Oct 20, 2009, 08:06 AM
    KBC

All interesting responses,I am(as we speak) doing the re-baking, I'll let you all know how it goes.
  • Nov 7, 2009, 02:48 AM
    KBC

Looks to be working,so far so good,used it for the past few weeks with little sticking problems, now for the real test,the dreaded Corned beef hash,, either it'll work,or not,, :)
  • Nov 7, 2009, 03:01 AM
    Clough
    You know, you're making me hungry, KBC!

I'm going to have to come over there and try some of your corned beef hash! :)