Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Networking (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Sharing files over wireless network (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=20462)

• Feb 12, 2006, 11:38 AM
    cathysbirds
    Sharing files over wireless network
    Hi I am new to this forum but I love these things...
    I have 2 computers--one connected through a modem to comcast cable and then my laptop connected through a linksys wireless set up to this computer. The tower has windows xp with service pack 2 installed and the laptop with windows xp pro and service pack 2 also. On both I have firewall enabled but allowing file and print sharing. I can transfer info from the laptop to the tower but when I go to transfer info from the tower to the laptop it says "pathway not found" Any help would be appreciated
    Could this be a virus protection issue?? I have different virus protections on each computer. Also, have not been able to use the printer from the laptop yet... it says it cannot find the printer. Thanks cathy
  • Feb 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
    cajalat
    Cathy,

I suspect that your wireless Linksys is not allowing outside access to your laptop (by default). You may need to setup the IP of your wireless laptop as your "DMZ" host on your wireless router. This is a long shot guess on my part and what would really be helpful is an exact explanation of how your network at home is setup. i.e. can you describe in detail what device is connected to what port? Specifically if you have a wireless router, a switch, a cable modem, and a tower, how are they all connected and on which port.

Also, if you can print the output of the following commands on the tower and the laptop that would help also "netstat -rn" and "ipconfig /all". Do do that you'll need to click the START menu and then RUN and then type CMD. A DOS window will appear and then you can type those commands in.

Casey
  • Feb 13, 2006, 12:52 PM
    cathysbirds
    OK here goes... I am not a computer wiz but here goes.

A cable from wall to the comcast modem, another cable from ethernet port on modem to internet port on router, and a 3rd cable from ethernet port on tower to linksys router(slot # 3)

When I ran the netstat-rn comand it stated "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." This occurred on both tower and laptop.

When I ran the ipconfig/all on the tower I got(sorry could not print or copy /paste--would not let me)...
    Window ip config
    Node type hybrid
    Ip routing enabled yes
    Wins proxy enabled no
    Dns suffix search list hsd1.nj.comcast.net

Ethernet adaptor local area connection
    Connection-specific dns suffix hsd1.nj.comcast.net
    Description realtek family pci fast ethernet
    Dhcp enabled yes
    Auto config enabled yes

Ip address(gave one ip address which was similar to the other machine except the last digits were off by one)
    Subnet mast 255 255 255 0
    Default gateway --same number as dhcp server number
    Dns serer--gave 2 specific numbers

Local area connection 2
    Description wan network driver
    Dhcp enabled no
    Ip address same as earlier

Info for the laptop:
    Window ip config
    Node type unknown
    Ip routing enabled no
    Wins porxy enabled no
    Dns suffix search list hsd1.nj.comcast.net

Ethernet adaptor wireless network connection
    Connection specific dns suffix hsd1.nj.comcast.net
    Description wirreless g notebook adaptor ver.4.0
    Dhcp enabled yes
    Auto config enabled yes
    Ip address(same as above except last digit)
    Subnet mask same as above
    Default gateway and dhcp server are same numbers
    Dns server 2 differents numbers
  • Feb 21, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Wendy225
    www.networkmagic.com try their free demo it does what you want and more easily, try it out, I did and bought it right away.