Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Politics (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=260)
-   -   What happened to being polite and respectful? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=134609)

• Sep 27, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Dark_crow
    What happened to being polite and respectful?
    "The bread and wine representing Christ's broken body and lifegiving blood are replaced with sadomasochistic sex toys in this twisted version of Da Vinci's The Last Supper," CWA said on its Web site.

"'Gay' activists disingenuously call Christians 'haters' and 'homophobes' for honoring the Bible, but then lash out in this hateful manner toward the very people they accuse," said said Matt Barber, CWA's policy director for cultural issues.

Homosexuals Mock 'Last Supper' With Sex-Toys Twist -- 09/25/2007
  • Sep 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Biggie
    You didn't know it's OK to mock Christianity? But it's not OK to mock other religions and lifestyles.
  • Sep 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Dark_crow
    I won't say that I am against “Mocking” in every conceivable form; but this,
  • Sep 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
    iamgrowler
    I don't know, DC.. .

Given your politics (and propensity for game playing), I'm instantly suspicious when you start citing Right Wing 'news' sources.

I can't help but wonder if your motivation is more about incitement than it is about concern for the 'feelings' of Xtians.
  • Sep 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Dark_crow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    I dunno, DC. . .

Given your politics (and propensity for game playing), I'm instantly suspicious when you start citing Right Wing 'news' sources.

I can't help but wonder if your motivation is more about incitement than it is about concern for the 'feelings' of Xtians.

My epistemology is not based on, or derived from, the source of information, not should anyone base a belief on the informational source, but rather from the moral truth as they perceive it. To me, the behavior in discussion is pragmatically destructive. :)
  • Sep 27, 2007, 05:32 PM
    shygrneyzs
    If you would only use this site as an example of what professed atheists use as attacks against Christians or anyone who believes there is God, you would know there is no politeness.
  • Sep 27, 2007, 06:53 PM
    BABRAM
    All atheists can rest assured knowing that traditional observant Christians are not fantasy prone to mock their own religious icons, none of which according to their New Testament were homosexuals.

And this coming from a Jew,
    Bobby
  • Sep 27, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Choux
    I have to laugh!

One group oppressed and slandered by all Christian denominations(except just recently not the more progressive Christian denominations) STRIKES BACK at their attacker by pointing out in a satiric manner that the last supper symbolizes an ancient cannibalistic belief(if one eats of the flesh of the noble person, one takes on his characteristics). Eat, for this is my flesh, etc. Christianity is not above attack in America anymore.

Christianity wants to maintian the position it occupied since the beginning of the Republic as being above criticism, however, since the 1970 going forward, Christianity became a political movement trying to force its very negative political agenda upon America's citizens. This agenda I'm referring to is: attack education, attack science, lie about the government and convince the majority of Christians that a CHRISTIAN THEISTIC government is preferable to America's secular Constitution and Bill of Rights. Part of their agenda is to take away individuals civil rights. Christianity is just nonsense to a lot of people in America... now that it is **dangerous nonsense**(religion and government combined), secularists and others are fighting back.

This is just free expression in one isolated place in America... San Francisco's hippist neighborhood, probably. FREE SPEECH IS FREE SPEECH.

:):):)
  • Sep 27, 2007, 08:25 PM
    BABRAM
    Choux-

You have a perverse sense of humor. You're not a lesbian (or a cannibal), I don't think, well maybe a cannibal (lol), and I know you're not homophobic, but I was unaware that you so strongly supported the homosexual community. I don't and would not knowingly. Currently secularists have had equal if not more say in the public schools than ever before. This is reason enough, that if affordable, to consider sending children to a private school of choice. Just curious, for those that have children, do you accept or favor curriculum being taught to your child that homosexuality is a normal, healthy, alternative and viable, lifestyle? I don't.

Bobby
  • Sep 28, 2007, 02:54 AM
    tomder55
    I think it is a testament to Christians that we have not rioted ,burned 100s of cars or beheaded anyone over the desecration of one of our "iconic symbols" .

From a political point of view I can say that the pressure from Christians nation wide is already having an impact. Miller Brewing Co. is a sponsor for this blasphemy at the 2007 Folsom Street Fair. The fair is designed to raise funds for local gay organizations ;one of them a group that mocks Catholic nuns (Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, who call themselves "queer nuns.")

The poster entitled 'The Last Straw " is a spoof of DaVinci's 'Last Supper '. It depicts men in drag,men in leather etc... at the Last Supper table which has sex toys and props on it.. The Last Straw is a fitting title in another way . Christians are getting pretty tired of the blank check the popular culture receives to mock our faith . The poster originally had the Miller logo on it ,but the company, coming under increasing pressure mobilized by the' Catholic League ',decided to remove the logo.

But that is not enough . Now the pressure is on for them to drop their sponsorship to the event. The Catholic League is now calling for a boycott of Miller products.

Yes the artists and the groups involved have a perfect 1st Amendment Right to design and display the poster. But Christians also have a perfect right to use the power of the purse to make a political statement of their own by choosing not to patronize Miller products so long as they sponsor such blatant attacks .

Here is the contact information for Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Brewing Company
    3939 W. Highland Blvd
    Milwaukee, WI 53208
    (414) 931-2000

I "boycotted " Miller years ago because I thought their product was swill.

Here is the list of Miller products to avoid :
    Miller Genuine Draft
    Miller Genuine Draft Light
    Miller High Life
    Miller Lite
    Icehouse
    Milwaukee's Best
    Henry Weinhard's Amber Light
    Henry Weinhard's
    Blue Boar Pale Ale
    Henry Weinhard's Hefeweizen
    Henry Weinhard's Northwest Trail
    Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve
    Leinenkugel's Amber Light
    Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss
    Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock
    Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark Lager
    Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss
    Leinenkugel's Light
    Leinenkugel's Northwoods Lager
    Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest
    Leinenkugel's Original
    Leinenkugel's Red Lager
    Mickey's Malt Liquor
    Olde English 800 Malt Liquor
    SKYY Blue
    SKYY Sport

As for me... it's Oktoberfest time. I think I'll have a few Spaten this weekend.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Dark_crow
    I've followed the “Sanctions” move by the Church against Miller since this began and wondered if they would cave, when they didn't I concluded that they decided the Church was less of a market than the opposition.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 07:27 AM
    tomder55
    Have you reconsidered ? I hear the gays like wine better :)

The demographics would clearly favor Christians in this case . The question ;and it appears to be the subject of a few threads here, is if religious based /"values "based consumers/voters are motivated enough to exercise their political clout to affect or reverse the social changes that progressivism has brought.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Dark_crow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55
    Have you reconsidered ? I hear the gays like wine better :)

The demographics would clearly favor Christians in this case . The question ;and it appears to be the subject of a few threads here, is if religious based /"values "based consumers/voters are motivated enough to exercise their political clout to affect or reverse the social changes that progressivism has brought.

It’s not just the gays but the community that supports gay rights.:)

I agree.. ”is if religious based /"values "based consumers/voters are motivated enough to exercise their political clout... ”

My argument is that Miller is a very large corporation and decisions like this definitely have to go before the Board, so at some point the Board had to decide where the money was because that is the sole consideration of this large a company, they have so far opted on the side of the gays.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 08:20 AM
    tomder55
    But they did make the concession of taking their name off the poster and that was before this 'Catholic League' reaction grew legs . We will see if a boycott of their products has any clout. My guess is that it will have an impact on their bottom line. Budweiser makes comparable and competitive alternates to their major brands.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 08:52 AM
    tomder55
    One can only speculate what impact it will have. I do not expect it to be in the degree of the Boston Tea Party; or boycott of the Selma bus system ,but hopefully enough to give them pause when they consider supporting the trashing and mocking Christianity. Perhaps it won't amount to a hill of beans dollar-wise. The Disney boycott did nothing to affect them in their bottom line... except in regards to the bad publicity.However... Maybe in the future decisions they make will consider who's ox they are goring .

Again ;this is legitimate protest in the best capitalist tradition. No one is going to burn a brewery . Do I as an individual have a hope of making a meaningful statement by boycotting a product on my own ? Probably not. But working together with like minded consumers I think I could.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Dark_crow
    Quote:

One can only speculate what impact it will have. I do not expect it to be in the degree of the Boston Tea Party; or boycott of the Selma bus system ,but hopefully enough to give them pause when they consider supporting the trashing and mocking Christianity. Perhaps it won't amount to a hill of beans dollar-wise. The Disney boycott did nothing to affect them in their bottom line ...except in regards to the bad publicity.However ... Maybe in the future decisions they make will consider who's ox they are goring .

Again ;this is legitimate protest in the best capitalist tradition. No one is going to burn a brewery . Do I as an individual have a hope of making a meaningful statement by boycotting a product on my own ? Probably not. But working together with like minded consumers I think I could.

One other thing that I find interesting is that the Christian Left is quite on the matter.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
    tomder55
    That also depends . There is a bit of a disagreement about which side of the spectrum us Catholics fall under. Normally Catholic advocates generally are not considered " Christian Right". ;some folks in the so called 'Christian Right' consider us papists devil worshippers.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Dark_crow
    Quote:

That also depends . There is a bit of a disagreement about which side of the spectrum us Catholics fall under. Normally Catholic advocates generally are not considered " Christian Right". As a matter of fact ;some folks in the so called 'Christian Right' consider us papists devil worshippers.

True, however I think we are back to “an approximation,” there are what’s termed, Old or Anglo-Catholicism in the C.L. but, I don't believe they are involved in this issue.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
    speechlesstx
    DC, it's good to see you're on board in this. We have a member here that enjoys calling us haters if you haven't noticed. These people not only lash out hypocritically, it seems to be an orgasmic experience for them.
  • Sep 28, 2007, 12:40 PM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

ummmm isn't Dos XX a redundancy

Absolutely, but don't ask me why you papist devil worshipper... that's just what they call it. At least it isn't a double redundancy like "The Los Angeles Angels." :D