Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   If no order is established now, can she get back child support in Michigan? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=523305)

• Nov 6, 2010, 01:19 AM
    tiredscaredwife
    If no order is established now, can she get back child support in Michigan?
    "My husband had full physical custody and joint legal custody of a son in Michigan. (I have raised him since he was 4 and he is 15) The bio mom was in and out of his life and when she was 'in' it was so torturous on my whole families lives. She came back in a couple years ago and was quite stable but talked him in to making false police reports about abuse, etc. #none ever stuck because they were all false but it is VERY scarey being accussed# We had enough #she #mom# even backed her car up and revved it forward and braked right in front of me, etc, etc, for 11 years off and on!# and my husband said he had enough and if his son was willing to put our family at risk with making false accusations-he decided to give up custody and let her raise him #he was being torn in two...it was terrible for the boy#. They signed an order giving her full physical custody and joint legal but it said she wasn't asking for support and intended on step parent adoption #her new husband#. We thought the being torn in two would stop and we also wanted to protect our family) Well, hubby talked to her lawyer and they didn't go thru on step parent adoption. Wondering if it is an attempt of having him and then also going back for child support later. If no order is established now, can she get back child support in Michigan? Again, court papers regarding custody state she is not asking for support. Thanks! "
  • Nov 6, 2010, 07:01 AM
    ScottGem

No, she CAN apply for support but that support will only be effective as of the date of application.
  • Nov 6, 2010, 07:32 AM
    Fr_Chuck

But if she is on welfare of any type, the state may come back after him for money for their services even if there is no child support order.
  • Nov 7, 2010, 12:52 PM
    s_cianci

If she does pursue a judgment for child support, she can get it retroactively to the day she became his primary physical custodian. I have to ask, why wasn't she paying child support during the years your son was the primary caregiver?
  • Nov 8, 2010, 01:29 PM
    tiredscaredwife
    Comment on s_cianci's post
    She was paying support when we had him. We decided to let the step dad adopt him and take over but looks like they are not doing that now. I am afraid it is just so she can collect support. We gave up a lot. I love him and miss him.
  • Nov 8, 2010, 01:29 PM
    tiredscaredwife
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thanks, is this for sure true for Michigan? There's the conflicting opinion above.
  • Nov 9, 2010, 04:47 AM
    ScottGem

The only thing I could find out states that it goes to date of filing unless within 6 years of birth.