Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Phones (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=462)
-   -   Antique four prong phone conversion (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=281767)

• Nov 16, 2008, 09:05 PM
    debbera
    Antique four prong phone conversion
    I have a old phone, the 3 wires ( yellow, red, and blue) are connected to a four prong plug. I want to update it, to use with a new plug in phone jack.

Thank-you for any help you can offer.
    Debbera
  • Nov 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
    KISS

This kind of adapter does work: 4 prong to modular plug adapter - Oldphoneworks

Inherently,I don't like the modular plugs/jacks because they tend to get noisy and pull out easily.

The silver satin cords are very difficult to strain relief in the phone itself.

I think, if I wanted a more reliable fix, I would get a small connector and connect the phone cord to it and then connect another connector to a piece of silver satin cord with a modular plug.

Or use stranded CAT 5 wire. This might be easier to strain relief and you can put a modular plug on it. If you need to extend it use a coupler. That wasn't an option before ethernet.

The adapter I have holds the modular plug very tight and even though at this one location, both kinds of jacks are available, I prefer to adapt as this adapter does.
  • Sep 2, 2009, 09:32 AM
    don beardsley

I have a 4Prong adapter that I need to plug into the latest type of phone jack, trying to locate a supplier that caries this type of female adapters,thanks for any hepl you can give me.
  • Sep 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
    KISS

I'm confused.

A cord with a 4-prong female at one end and a modular male at the other is in the link in post #2.

What are you looking for?
  • Sep 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Stratmando

I would install an RJ11(newer style phone jack)
    Use a Meter, and hook the red to the Negative 48 volts and the Green to the positive with respect to red. Tape unused.
  • May 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
    verathraghna
    Would this work with an old two-prong phone also?
  • Aug 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
    kaykaybaby
    My mother just bought a house built in 1954. The phone jacks in the house have four holes and need a four prong male adapter tuse them. The previous owner left their adapter and phone but I can not get a dial tone. I am wondering how complicated is it going to be to change to the new jacks. Will everything need to be rewired?
  • Aug 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
    KISS
    The phone was probably disconnected.

The phone company should supply a NID outside the house. If there isn't one, request that one be put in. Check for dial tone there.

Old touch tone phones are sensitive to polarity. You will get a dial tone, but unable to generate tones if the polarity is wrong.

The 4-prong jacks can easily be unplugged and sometimes generate noise at the contacts. The 4-prong to modular plug adapters work really well, but not the other way around.

The house will like be wired with very thick QUAD WIRE. That wire can be used on a modular jack with SCREW TERMINALS inside.

The house I'm is a nightmareish combo of quad, new phone wire and DSL and non-home runs. Lots of locations have both modular and 4-prong available. There are two ringers that don't have phones connected.

Most of the house is now served by a 4-wirelss handset / tel answering machine on an UPS.

No issues and the DSL is pristine because it's done with a splitter and not filters.

Re-wiring isn't strictly necessary.