Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Politics (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=260)
-   -   Is this a true Obama quote? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=216712)

• May 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Galveston1
    Is this a true Obama quote?
    This is a real question for you who have high speed internet. My dial up is way too slow to do serious research.
    Is the following quote accurate?

>From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims should the
    political winds shift in an ugly direction."
  • May 16, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    In what context was it written, I would hope all US people would stand behind the Muslims that are US citizens if there was discrimination against them or if polictical powers tried to restrict their rights to worship.

I was first in line to give of my time to help guard a local Atlanta Mosque right after 911 when there was fear or vandalism from those that confuse terrorist with those that practice their faith.
  • May 18, 2008, 02:24 AM
    tomder55
    Yeah he wrote something like it (the one you provide is a misquote )but it is being taken out of context by the web site you found it in.

Here is the full correct quote from the book (page 261) :

Quote:

"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."
    The ugly direction he is referring to was the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII.

There is plenty reasons to oppose his candidacy without going in this direction. The site you found this on should take it down and offer a clarification. This constant trying to smear him because he has some Muslim heritage is a losing strategy.
  • May 18, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Thank you Tom, yes, I assumed it was some of the political mud slinging to take words said out of context.
  • May 20, 2008, 12:42 AM
    NICKNAME
    I think whoever becomes the president of the states will not change the facts.. oil-blood-war-hate-fighting Muslims only.. etc . I know a lot of Americans don`t agree with their government because they are kind and friendly..
    I have been thinking before.. who made the Americans ( hated) all over the world ? Of course.. their government and supporting Israel.. but I still hope that U.S will be changed