Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Women's Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=357)
-   -   Can a early miscarriage be misdiagnosed? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=659364)

• May 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
    emily_godzilla
    Can a early miscarriage be misdiagnosed?
    Hi,
    My husband & myself have been trying to conceive for many years-without success. We stopped using birth control in 2006 when I began grad school for my masters degree, in 2008 or 2009 I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Eventually I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis.They did do a pelvic surgery which showed that one of my fallopian tubes is blocked. The other is fine. Anyway, I missed my period last summer in July and then again in October. Nov 1st I got 3 positive hpts at home so I went to my primary dr for a blood test. The bloodtest confirmed that I was pregnant. I was told because I have bipolar I am considered "high" risk so they wanted to do a series of blood tests to monitor my hcg before even seeing a obgyn. Nov 1st my level was 81. The next time they checked it it was 241. 48 hrs later it was only 319-that date I remember it was 11-11-11. I started spotting later that day, it was a Friday. I went back Monday and my beta was only 40. They did an ultrasound and said I had an"empty" uterus. I was diagnosed with a "complete and natural" miscarriage based on the hcg levels and ultrasound. By the time they did the ultrasound I was most likely only between 5-7 weeks. MLP was 9/30/11. My question is how accurate is only one ultrasound done that early? Since then I have been getting somewhat irregular periods-but what I believe are periods BUT, the bleeding is much lighter than normal for me-in between periods I am still having pelvic cramping pain, and strange symptoms. It is very likely due to my struggle with infertility and my mental illness, that I may just be in denial about my miscarriage and acceptance of it. Usually because of the endo I have at least one day or night of heavy dark red flow with a lot of clotting. That really has not been happening. I am getting older-i will be 38 in two weeks-my body maybe preparing for the change (menopause).

At the time of the miscarriage, my obgyn dr said that a d and c was unnecessary since I was not that far along-he felt I would pass it naturally. I had one prior miscarriage also by my husband-at age 28. Unfortnately my husband and I have different rh factors-i am negative and he is positive. They think this may have caused this last miscarriage.The first one I was further along probably 10-12 weeks. So I cannot really compare the two-but this one in nov had less bleeding more like spotting but it was much more painful than the first.

Are miscarriages ever misdiagnosed? If I were still pregnant I would be at least 7 months. The symptoms I have: went up a whole bra size, constantly tired/sleeping at least 8 hrs per night then taking 2- 4 hr naps each day for months now, moody, tearful, hungry, bloated only gained about 6lbs but I was already 200 lbs. My clothes especially shirts are not fitting my tummy. Sometimes I feel something that could be kicking but I assume is just gas. It is usually in my stomach or by my ribs.

I am going to see a new gyn/ob in two weeks for my annual. I assume she would know at this point when she sees me what is going on. I met with her the first time in march for a consult about my endo. She was very supportive and prescribed some pre-natal vitamins urging me that me and my husband could try again-since it had been 3 months since the miscarriage.So is monitoring hcg a universal way of telling for sure that somebody has miscarried? Thanks for your time.
  • Jun 9, 2012, 10:48 AM
    emily_godzilla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emily_godzilla View Post
    Hi,
    My husband & myself have been ttc for many years-without success. We stopped using birth control in 2006 when i began grad school for my masters degree, in 2008 or 2009 I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Eventually i was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis.They did do a pelvic surgery which showed that one of my fallopian tubes is blocked. The other is fine. Anyways, I missed my period last summer in july and then again in october. Nov 1st I got 3 positive hpts at home so I went to my primary dr for a blood test. The bloodtest confirmed that I was pregnant. I was told because I have bipolar I am considered "high" risk so they wanted to do a series of blood tests to monitor my hcg before even seeing a obgyn. Nov 1st my level was 81. The next time they checked it it was 241. 48 hrs later it was only 319-that date i remember it was 11-11-11. I started spotting later that day, it was a friday. I went back monday and my beta was only 40. they did an ultrasound and said I had an"empty" uterus. I was diagnosed with a "complete and natural" miscarriage based on the hcg levels and ultrasound. By the time they did the ultrasound I was most likely only between 5-7 weeks. MLP was 9/30/11. My question is how accurate is only one ultrasound done that early? Since then I have been getting somewhat irregular periods-but what i believe are periods BUT, the bleeding is much lighter than normal for me-in between periods i am still having pelvic cramping pain, and strange symptoms. It is very likely due to my struggle with infertility and my mental illness, that i may just be in denial about my miscarriage and acceptance of it. Usually because of the endo i have at least one day or night of heavy dark red flow with alot of clotting. that really has not been happening. i am getting older-i will be 38 in two weeks-my body maybe preparing for the change (menopause).

At the time of the miscarriage, my obgyn dr said that a d and c was unecessary since i was not that far along-he felt i would pass it naturally. I had one prior miscarriage also by my husband-at age 28. Unfortnately my husband and i have different rh factors-i am negative and he is positive. They think this may have caused this last miscarriage.The first one i was further along probably 10-12 weeks. So i cannot really compare the two-but this one in nov had less bleeding more like spotting but it was much more painful than the first.

Are miscarriages ever misdiagnosed? If i were still pregnant i would be at least 7 months. The symptoms i have: went up a whole bra size, constantly tired/sleeping at least 8 hrs per night then taking 2- 4 hr naps each day for months now, moody, tearful, hungry, bloated only gained about 6lbs but I was already 200 lbs. My clothes especially shirts are not fitting my tummy. Sometimes i feel something that could be kicking but i assume is just gas. It is usually in my stomach or by my ribs.

I am going to see a new gyn/ob in two weeks for my annual. I assume she would know at this point when she sees me what is going on. I met with her the first time in march for a consult about my endo. She was very supportive and prescribed some pre-natal vitamins urging me that me and my husband could try again-since it had been 3 months since the miscarriage.So is monitoring hcg a universal way of telling for sure that somebody has miscarried? Thanks for your time.

Hi,
    Its me again. Just wanted to add additional info. I was rushed to the ER may 28 and again on may 31.On the 28th they diagnosed me with an ovarian cyst in my leg ovary of 6 cm. They gave me morphine and tylenol 4 for pain. On the 31st I took too main tyelenol 4s. I took like 4 over the course of 4 hours. My husband dropped me off like 7am and I was later discharged at 5 or 6 pm. I was given a room on the 31st, but instead of putting me into a pysch unit they put me on the labor and delievery floor in a private room.My ob-gyn gave me two choices: either a complete hysterectomy or a shot of lupron-which they said our insurance would cover. They said initially to get the shot-my choice-i would need to stay the night. But then another dr a female dr said that they could give me the injection and discharge me that same day. Later a nurse came in and said they had to do a hcg beta test before giving me the lupron shot. They took blood and we waited. Then they told me I could just see the dr in his office in six weeks to get the lupron shot. Nothing was even mentioned about the beta test. I was just sent home.My shrink was furious, and wants me to get a second opinion. Is it possible I am still pregnant and nobody will tell me due to any risks I pose myself to the fetus?So confused... my stomach is rock hard, I have trouble sleeping and eating and I constantly have to pee? Am I just going crazy again? My mom-in-law even said I look pregnant. And my brother in law offerred to put up a tree-house in our backyard.And my hubby rubs my belly quite often wth is going on?
  • Jun 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
    emily_godzilla
    Also, people are acting weird around me. My husband and mother-in-law are constantly trying to get me to eat. I have now gained 10 lbs but I never eat... ugh. This has nothing to do with being overweight or weight loss. I have a masters degree, I realize it is not effective or healthy to lose weight by skipping meals-i am just never hungry till late in the day.my bipolar symptoms have re-surfaced due to my sleeping problems. And the cyst is in my left ovarian-i did not mean to type leg-see above. I got all my medical records and they all list patient denies pregnancy but my beta is negative. And I started spotting on the 31st and spotted on and off for four days... the strangest "period" ever.I am not sure if I am suffering from a 'false-pregnancy disorder' or even worse a "hidden pregnancy" 'pregnancy denial" disorder. I see a different ob-gyn this Tuesday. She did do my annual, but her office never did give me a phone call about my results like they said they would... If I am eight months pregnant by now, they probably would not even operate on the ovarian cyt till later. I have taken hpts all negative. I have a cousin, who when she was 30 went through a hidden pregnancy-she did not even knmown till she was in labor. So scared the same will happen to me... please advise.