Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Early Childhood Education (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Could you help me on my literature review about key workers? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=727951)

• Jan 14, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Hannah254
    Could you help me on my literature review about key workers?
    I am currently doing a foundation degree in early years. I have to do a literature review, and my topic is the importance of key workers in a child's life. I don't know how to start it and what to include. Also need help on how to layout the literature review.
  • Jan 14, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Wondergirl
    Were you given a style guide for how the paper is to be set up? If not, ask your instructor for one. We had to use a guide approved by the education department.

As for a lit review, go to the reference desk at your university or public library and ask for this, They will direct you regarding keywords to use. There is a huge database called FirstSearch which includes ERIC, the education database you need to search on. I'll do a sample search for you, if you wish, but need a good keyword to begin with. Should I use "key workers"?

***ADDED*** I just did a search. You will need to ask for or do a Boolean search with a mix of terms in order to define the search better and also reduce the number of hits you get. "Key workers" is much too broad and gives a huge number of hits.
  • Jan 14, 2013, 10:31 AM
    Hannah254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Were you given a style guide for how the paper is to be set up? If not, ask your instructor for one. We had to use a guide approved by the education department.

As for a lit review, go to the reference desk at your university or public library and ask for this,. They will direct you regarding keywords to use. There is a huge database called FirstSearch which includes ERIC, the education database you need to search on. I'll do a sample search for you, if you wish, but need a good keyword to begin with. Should I use "key workers"?

No I wasn't given a style guide. Am just stuck on how to start it off? Yes that would be great thanks
  • Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
    Wondergirl
    ***ADDED*** I just did a search. You will need to ask for or do a Boolean search with a mix of terms in order to define the search better and also reduce the number of hits you get. "Key workers" is much too broad and gives a huge number of hits.

Keywords --

Early childhood education
    Key workers
    [country]
    [limit by copyright date?]
    Preschool?
    Kindergarten?

Of course, you will be doing more than one search with a mix of terms in each search. These journals are not available by Googling on the Internet. You need to go to the library.
  • Jan 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
    Hannah254
    Quote:

Oh okay will do.. But how do you start a literature review? What shall I include in the introduction?
  • Jan 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Wondergirl
    I'm a bit shocked that you are so clueless about this --

Literature Reviews - The Writing Center

"APA Documentation" UW-Madison Writing Center Writer's Handbook
  • Jan 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Hannah254
    Quote:

Thank you... I just get confused thinking what to include. I have never done a literature review before. Do I research on that topic, quote it where I found it and then expland on it in detail
  • Jan 14, 2013, 11:01 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah254 View Post
    thank you... i just get confused thinking what to include. i have never done a literature review before. Do i research on that topic, quote it where i found it and then expland on it in detail

Read over one or both of the links I gave you -- full explanation of how to do a lit review.

Yes, you research with a variety of keywords, choose the articles that most fit your topic (which you have set in your mind), use quotes as necessary (and document them in your review), and explain well and in detail. Your best bet is to make a good outline first (after doing the searches), before you write out the review itself. The outline will then write the review for you like magic!
  • Jan 14, 2013, 11:09 AM
    Hannah254
    Quote:

Read over one or both of the links I gave you -- full explanation of how to do a lit review.

Yes, you research with a variety of keywords, choose the articles that most fit your topic (which you have set in your mind), use quotes as necessary (and document them in your review), and explain well and in detail. Your best bet is to make a good outline first (after doing the searches), before you write out the review itself. The outline will then write the review for you like magic!

Thank you for your help.. I just hope I get it done and is right
  • Jan 14, 2013, 11:13 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah254 View Post
    thank you for your help.. i just hope i get it done and is right

I drove my instructor crazy years ago, but it was worth it. I was then able to help students when I became a librarian. Talk to your instructor and to the reference librarian(s). There are even books written about how to do this, although the two sites I gave you are good. (There was no Internet when I did my lit review back in the dinosaur age.) And do not think you can do it all on the Internet! You need ERIC (Education Resources Information Center)!
  • Jan 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Hannah254
    Awwww haha, I will do thank you for your help