Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Computers (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=242)
-   -   Need opinions!While typing an email, it suddenly stops and gets saved into Drafts (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=424418)

• Dec 12, 2009, 10:56 AM
    violet0019
    Need opinions!While typing an email, it suddenly stops and gets saved into Drafts
    Can anyone help me with any easy advice as I am self taught and basically just know how to surf... I have a Mac osx and if I am typing an email while in hotmail, for instance, suddenly:eek: after about 30 seconds it cuts off :(and gets saved in Drafts... every single time! Also, it happens in other email providers. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!:confused:
  • Dec 13, 2009, 09:35 AM
    InfoJunkie4Life

Most all email providers now save your message to drafts on purpose. This is to protect you from accidents. Say you lost power, or your computer blew up: you would still have a working copy available from the last draft save, rather than having to start all over.

Generally, it doesn't cut you off. What usually happens, is your page will freeze up for about 3 seconds and the cursor will start blinking again. Depending on the type of internet speed you have, and the web browser you are using, this time can vary. In some instances I've had to re-click onto the text box in order to resume typing every time an auto draft was saved.
  • Dec 13, 2009, 09:41 AM
    violet0019
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    Most all email providers now save your message to drafts on purpose. This is to protect you from accidents. Say you lost power, or your computer blew up: you would still have a working copy available from the last draft save, rather than having to start all over.

Generally, it doesn't cut you off. What usually happens, is your page will freeze up for about 3 seconds and the cursor will start blinking again. Depending on the type of internet speed you have, and the web browser you are using, this time can vary. In some instances I've had to re-click onto the text box in order to resume typing every time an auto draft was saved.

Thank you for your reply, but I still am in the same predicament :(

Also... can you please explain further:
    "I've had to re-click onto the text box":confused::confused:...
    In order to resume typing every time an auto draft was saved

HOW... what do you mean onto the "text box"?
  • Dec 13, 2009, 10:07 AM
    InfoJunkie4Life

You can click onto various parts of the page in order to activate them. So places on the page are designed to be typed in... for instance the one I am typing in now, a login/password form. They are all text boxes. Sometimes when the auto draft is saved it makes the text box inactive. That means the browser doesn't know what to do with your text as you type, so it does nothing. If you click within the text box, preferably somewhere after where you left off, it usually allows you to resume typing.
  • Dec 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
    violet0019
    Quote:

You can click onto various parts of the page in order to activate them. So places on the page are designed to be typed in...for instance the one I am typing in now, a login/password form. They are all text boxes. Sometimes when the auto draft is saved it makes the text box inactive. That means the browser doesn't know what to do with your text as you type, so it does nothing. If you click within the text box, preferably somewhere after where you left off, it usually allows you to resume typing.

Thank you for your reply.
    I followed your advice and tried this but unfortunately, it is still jumping into drafts after typing 30 seconds:eek:
  • Dec 13, 2009, 11:58 AM
    InfoJunkie4Life

Try clicking on your drafts folder and then finishing it from there. Usually there is an edit button you can select while viewing your drafts.
  • Dec 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
    violet0019
    Quote:

Try clicking on your drafts folder and then finishing it from there. Usually there is an edit button you can select while viewing your drafts.

That is what I have to do as I have no choice! But after I go into drafts and select the email that I was writing, I begin typing again and then AGAIN after thirty seconds it jumps back into drafts :mad::eek::(:confused:
  • Dec 13, 2009, 01:00 PM
    InfoJunkie4Life

Ahh... ok. Which browser are you using in Mac... safari?
  • Dec 13, 2009, 03:57 PM
    violet0019
    Quote:

Ahh...ok. Which browser are you using in Mac...safari?

Yes Safari... and for past several months have been having assorted ongoing internet "issues"/service :( with provider (Sympatico - part of Bell Canada) which are still in need of being straightened out. (I think that they are better with those who do not have a Mac!) Do you think it could be related to the provider?
  • Dec 13, 2009, 11:10 PM
    InfoJunkie4Life
    I am not sure. It seems unlikely that the provider is actually the cause of page problems. I would presume that it was the site before you said you have the same trouble with other emails. I would suggest you try another browser at this point. I know you can get Firefox for mac.

http://www.mozilla.org/firefox

I am not a huge user of mac. There may a setting inside Safari that is controlling this behavior, or it could be a bug.