Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Family & People (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Graduation Gift Ideas (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=822220)

• Feb 27, 2016, 01:30 PM
    Kit78eo
    Graduation Gift Ideas
    My best friend is graduating high school this year in June. We've known each other since I was 2 and she was 3. I wanted to get her something really special and was wondering if you guys had any ideas. I didn't want to just give her money because that's too boring and common. And any type of jewelry won't work either. I know I have a few months to still think about it, but the sooner I have an idea of what I want to get her the better.

Thanks!
  • Feb 27, 2016, 02:18 PM
    joypulv
    First, I wouldn't spend more than about $25. She will be gone next year and you won't, and a lot will change! She will have adult-world expenses. She might even be burdened when you graduate.
    What will she be doing next? College, a job, moving away, not moving?
    Call me old fashioned, but one gift I like is a real sterling silver picture frame, a small oval one, maybe 3 x 6.
    I even hear that there is a revival of 'real' photographs.
    Leave it empty! That way it's her choice what to put in it.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 02:27 PM
    Kit78eo
    Why would she be burdened when I graduate? And burdened with what? And also why wouldn't you want to spend more than $25?

Oh, also she is going to a four year college about an hour and a half away from where she lives. And she'll be living in a dorm.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 02:34 PM
    Wondergirl
    What price range?
  • Feb 27, 2016, 02:40 PM
    Kit78eo
    I was thinking anything under $50 would be reasonable enough. I just want to get something nice and not cheapy if you know what I mean.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 02:41 PM
    Wondergirl
    What about something she can use in college?
  • Feb 27, 2016, 02:47 PM
    Kit78eo
    Yeah, I was kind of thinking along those lines, but I wasn't exactly sure what. Actually, I just thought of something. She mentioned to me that she wanted to decorate her dorm with fun and bright things. She also told me recently that she would like to get one of those bean bag chairs but she wasn't going to buy one because they were too expensive. So what if I get her a brightly colored bean bag chair for her dorm? Or would that just be a weird gift?

P.S. I know I said I wanted to get her something special, but maybe this would work?
  • Feb 27, 2016, 02:57 PM
    Wondergirl
    I went to college a thousand years ago, so probably (ha, ha) things have changed. I was thinking of what I wished I'd had. A colorful throw or quilt (dorms can be drafty) -- something to wrap around yourself while up late studying or writing a paper or just sitting in the hallway with dormmates. Yes, a beanbag chair if the price is right. Don't go cheap, though. There are books on how to survive freshman year, but she'll have more important stuff to read for classes. Hmmmmm...still thinking...
  • Feb 27, 2016, 03:01 PM
    Kit78eo
    Her favorite color is lime green if that helps anything.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 03:06 PM
    Wondergirl
    A C.A.R.E. package full of odds and ends -- colorful tacks or push pins for her bulletin board, a ream of printer paper, rubber bands, stapler, scissors, paper clips, microwavable food, chocolate bars, ramen noodles, pens, markers, whiteout, survival manual, paper towels, baby wipes, Scotch tape, different sizes of Post-It notes, etc. Still thinking...
  • Feb 27, 2016, 03:40 PM
    Kit78eo
    That's a good idea. Thank you so much for your help by the way.

She mentioned that she would like to start getting some makeup. Maybe I should get her a gift card to Ulta or some other makeup shop?
  • Feb 27, 2016, 03:52 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit78eo View Post
    That's a good idea. Thank you so much for your help by the way.

She mentioned that she would like to start getting some makeup. Maybe I should get her a gift card to Ulta or some other makeup shop?

That would be cool, and she could pick out what she likes. And shop more than once.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 03:55 PM
    Kit78eo
    Ok good! I think I'll do that then.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 04:00 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit78eo View Post
    Ok good! I think I'll do that then.

Good! Ulta has all sorts of stuff, so she'll have a wide choice.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 04:02 PM
    DoulaLC
    With whatever you get for her, something personal to go along with it, like the nice photo of the two of you, would be a nice keepsake for her.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 04:05 PM
    Kit78eo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Good! Ulta has all sorts of stuff, so she'll have a wide choice.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking plus there is a mixture of drugstore and higher end makeup so, like you said, she'll have a wide variety to choose from.

Because makeup can get pricy, maybe I should give her a $50 gift card? Is that good enough?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    With whatever you get for her, something personal to go along with it, like the nice photo of the two of you, would be a nice keepsake for her.

Ok that's a good idea I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
  • Feb 27, 2016, 04:15 PM
    Wondergirl
    Is there a makeup artist on staff so your friend can try before she buys? Plus they have all sorts of creams and moisturizers and haircare stuff, too.
  • Mar 1, 2016, 08:55 PM
    Kit78eo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is there a makeup artist on staff so your friend can try before she buys? Plus they have all sorts of creams and moisturizers and haircare stuff, too.

The mall in our area may or may not have a makeup artist. I never found out for certain. I just always thought there was I'm not exactly sure, but I think so.
  • Mar 2, 2016, 09:12 AM
    joypulv
    The 'burden' I meant was the one of the starving student. But that's just my memory from long ago.