Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   History (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Old old coin (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=496025)

• Aug 8, 2010, 04:32 AM
    albear
    Old old coin
    Not sure if this is the right rection, but I didn't spot an antiques forum

My grandad recently passed away and while sorting through his stuff my dad came across an old coin, apparently from the 'Elizabeth 1st' era I was wondering if anybody would know how what it would be and how much it would be worth or any place I could find out?

Obviously pictures would be more helpful and when I get any ill load them
  • Aug 8, 2010, 05:01 AM
    tickle

Well, albear, you know as well as I do that any coin from that time frame is going to be worth something, but you will definitely have to find a coin collector in the UK you can authenticate it, (authenticating being the first step) and then knowing the value and there will be some value.

tick
  • Aug 8, 2010, 05:04 AM
    albear

Yea I presumed so, I was hoping for any recommended sites to get it identified as to what it is
  • Aug 8, 2010, 05:07 AM
    albear

Elizabeth 1st silver 6 pence 1562

A rose mark on the right hand side of the head, theon mark?

Fine condition

That's what I've just been told my dad reckons it is.
  • Nov 4, 2010, 10:37 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle

ALBEAR-HERE IS A LITTLE HISTORY ON THIS COIN AND QUEEN ELIZABETH THE FIRST::: #1)- Her raign as Queen started in the year 1558 to 1603,dyring this time she was put on the coins of ENGLAND
    THE 6 pence coin first came out durning the raign of { HENRY THE V111}His reign started in the year 1509-1547}{VALUE for that time was ( $7.50)-durning the time of {QUEEN ELIZABETH ,THEW value was ( $15.00},the rose as you al call it was at that time of [ king Henry , was on the left side of the head ][, between the tome that the QUEEN was in and ( KING James the first was in ,[from 1603 - 1645 ][ During this time the (ROISAE WS ON THE ,RIGHT SIDE of the head}:: When coins were first started they started being { MILLED ) ;up to this time they were done by { hand hammered by by hand ][ just as they were first done in ancient times}.- using thir methods]::, Durning this time THE { VALUE of these coins had dropped down to ( $3-50 } { JAMES 1,was from 1603 to 1645;; I HOPE THAT I HAVE HELPED YOU A LITTLE ANYHOW::: YOU WANTED TO know where you could go to do some checking on this coin that you have}{ GO TO YOUR LOCAL LIBERY AND GO TO THE DESK AND TELL THEM YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME OLD BOOKS ON COINESfrom ENGLAND< and the year of the coin you haveit will be a book on { WORLD COINS, DATEING BACK TO THOSE YEARS:: <MINE ONLY GOES BACK TO {1701] and the one you will need will end at 1700; I do have a nother book ,printed in 1960 by the name of { WORLDS MOST POPULAR COINS-by REINFELD; that is where I found what I did on this coin :: IF I can be of anymore helpjust come on back and holler HAVE a great night and a bertter topmorrow and GOD BLESS:: F.B.E.