Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pools - Spas & Saunas (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Plumbing sleeves for pool replumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=75758)

• Mar 25, 2007, 01:41 PM
    nojerryrigs
    Plumbing sleeves for pool replumbing
    Does anybody know of a product for resleeving 1.5 copper pool pipe? I am repairing a concrete/plaster inground pool built in the late 50's. 1.5 inch copper pipe was used. I know I have a leak on the return line and also believe I have one on the main pool drain (the pool water level drops to about 2 feet from the pool edge and doesn't go further. I have dug down as far as I can, following the drain line (I ran into the concrete skimmer base which the copper goes through). I don't want to destroy the skimmer if I don't have to but will if needed. My father in-law (who owns stock in baleing wire) suggested resleeving. What do you think?
  • Apr 16, 2007, 07:33 AM
    tlsmith85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nojerryrigs
    Does anybody know of a product for resleeving 1.5 copper pool pipe? I am repairing a concrete/plaster inground pool built in the late 50's. 1.5 inch copper pipe was used. I know I have a leak on the return line and also believe I have one on the main pool drain (the pool water level drops to about 2 feet from the pool edge and doesn't go further. I have dug down as far as I can, following the drain line (I ran into the concrete skimmer base which the copper goes through). I don't want to destroy the skimmer if I don't have to but will if needed. My father in-law (who owns stock in baleing wire) suggested resleeving. what do you think?

Did you ever solve this problem? I might have the same issue but with galvanized pipe.
  • Jun 15, 2007, 11:42 AM
    serendipity pools
    The copper and galvanized pipe has to go. Sorry for the bad news. The good news is that you can identify for sure where the leaks are with a pressure test. If the water level drops two feet in the pool I would be much more inclined to think skimmer than main drain.

I have never once encountered a successful "sleeving" on a swimming pool. Replace your pipes with new, more reliable solutions. If you have a vinyl liner pool with a sand or vermiculite concrete base I would recommend to remove the main drain all together. This is not required for the successful operation of your pool. Install a new skimmer, or at least a brand new PVC schedule 40 pipe directly to the old skimmer. Replace the returns in the same fashion.

If you take any approach other than this replacement with proper PVC pipe and new returns and skimmer connection - I PROMISE that you are on a ticking clock until your pool starts leaking again.

Pressure test all of your pipes and connections instead of eyeballing them and saying "I think that looks good". There are lots of things in life you can take short cuts with. Electricity, car brakes and swimming pools you can not... brain surgery also I suppose =)

I hope this information helps. You have a big job, but not terribly difficult job ahead of you. Good luck.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools