Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cats (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   My 3 year old scratches on our bedroom door at night (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=290095)

• Dec 9, 2008, 06:02 AM
    catlady4
    My 3 year old scratches on our bedroom door at night
    :confused:Within the last month, my 3 year old cat had decided to start scratching on our bedroom door at night. She has plenty of food, water, litter box, etc. to get her through the night, yet she insists on scratching. When we got her from the shelter about 3 years ago she was already declawed - so she is not damaging the door. Just waking us up at all hours of the night. We have tried spraying her with water to discourage this behavoir and guess what - it doesn't work. She keeps coming back to the door and scratching.

Any suggestions? We need to get some sleep!!

Thank you.:(
  • Dec 9, 2008, 06:06 AM
    N0help4u

Sounds like she wants more attention.
    Do you play with her and hold her a lot before you go to bed?
  • Dec 9, 2008, 06:45 AM
    catlady4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Sounds like she wants more attention.
    Do you play with her and hold her a lot before you go to bed?

Absolutely - when she will let us - there are times when she is very cuddly and affectionate and times when she isn't. We try and love on her as much as she will allow.
    :)
  • Dec 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
    xxariesxx
    Maybe she just does not want to be alone at night? Is there any way you can let her in your room while you are sleeping?
  • Dec 13, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Fr_Chuck

I just have to laught, I know off topic, but when I first read this, I was reading children issues first, so I was thinking this was a 3 year old CHILD, not CAT.

For a laugh, re-read it, thinking child and have a laugh
  • Dec 13, 2008, 08:11 PM
    catsman_123

Being a cat person myself, I have many cats. It is probably just because your cat is lonely. You should consider buying another cat. They would have fun together, and not bother you. Good luck
  • Dec 14, 2008, 12:52 AM
    Clough

Hi, catlady4!

What would be the problem with letting your cat sleep with you at night, please? If there's something that the cat might do in the bed concerning where the cat might sleep, then most cats would quickly learn what it is that you don't like.

Just a thought for you...

Thanks!
  • Dec 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
    catlady4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xxariesxx View Post
    Maybe she just does not want to be alone at night? Is there any way you can let her in your room while you are sleeping?

That would be a good idea if she was the only cat; however, with 3 others, they would get jealous!! Believe me, my husband and I have thought about it.

Thank you for your comment - it is appreciate!! :)
  • Dec 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
    catlady4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by catsman_123 View Post
    being a cat person myself, i have many cats. it is probably just because your cat is lonely. you should consider buying another cat. they would have fun together, and not bother you. good luck

One of the things I didn't mention in my first post is that we have 4 cats total! I would love to get another cat, but I would end up in divorce court!! LOL:D
    Thank you for your comment.
  • Dec 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
    catlady4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, catlady4!

What would be the problem with letting your cat sleep with you at night, please? If there's something that the cat might do in the bed concerning where the cat might sleep, then most cats would quickly learn what it is that you don't like.

Just a thought for you...

Thanks!

I apologize - I failed to mention in my first post that this cat is one of four that we have. We don't have problems with the others, just her.

Thank you for your comment.
  • Dec 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
    ShadyLady

When I was in the hospital for a week my cat went through a hard time, even though someone came in to take care of him. He now has a type of "separation anxiety". When I'm in bed he goes around the house searching for me and calling until I tell him I'm here. He probably does this when I'm gone too.

Your cat may have suddenly developed the same condition. She has learned to get comfort from humans, so she is trying to get to you at night.

At one time my husband & I had 3 cats and often woke up with all 3 on our bed in different places. It was weird because they didn't like each other, but tolerated each other on the bed.They just had to move when we rolled over or got up.