Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Plans say #12 and 20 Amp Minimum (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=830999)

• Mar 7, 2017, 09:21 AM
    Stratmando
    Plans say #12 and 20 Amp Minimum
    I am Doing Electronics on a House,
    The Electrician is using #14 Romex. He says #14 is allowed down here now. I still Don't use it. He has it on the block all as well.
    The Plans call for ENT(Electrical Non Metallic Tubing)Typically I would use EMT on the block walls, to be flush with fur strips, and ENT(Smurf)in the ceilings.
    I was always amazed how some of these bids are so low. Now I know.
    I am not a person to Rat or Squeel, Feel bad for the Owner. I feel the Inspector will catch it.
    I hate seeing Crap.
    This is probably not a question, Just venting, can't/won't tell anyone down here?
    I hope at least they use 15 Amp Breakers.
  • Mar 8, 2017, 05:44 AM
    hfcarson
    Hi Strat, are the plans signed and sealed? Are they part of everyone's contract?
    you might quietly bring this to the owner's attention...
  • Mar 8, 2017, 10:56 AM
    stanfortyman
    The #12/20A minimum is a stupid requirement for pretty much any house. That is typically there on boilerplate plans where the specifications are general and just copied and pasted.

There is really no reason at all to use #12 for most residential lighting circuits.
  • Mar 8, 2017, 01:00 PM
    ma0641
    There is really no reason at all to use #12 for most residential lighting circuits----That's true and a pain in the butt to bend them around the terminals since you cant backwire the builders grade.
  • Mar 8, 2017, 03:47 PM
    stanfortyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    That's true and a pain in the butt to bend them around the terminals since you cant backwire the builders grade.

Well, I don't ever use backstab connections on devices, but the real pain is in boxes with a lot of wires. They fill up real quick with #12.
  • Mar 8, 2017, 04:55 PM
    donf
    Not to be antagonistic, but if the owner intended for 20 amp circuits he's not getting them.
  • Mar 9, 2017, 07:06 AM
    Stratmando
    I agree 14 for lighting, #12 for the rest. For the Longest time down here, The Monroe County Supplement to the NEC said No #14. I am not a Romex Electrician, I use Conduit as it is Not Obsolete the Moment it goes in, as Romex is. I also use stranded, as it Reduces eddy currents, and Less stressful on devices in boxes. Stranded does take longer to do the Panel as you have to straighten Stranded, a Little time consuming to make it look good? IMO.
    Donf, I agree, whatever our opinions are on 14, Plans say 12 and Owner is not getting what is called for and Electrician may have won bid due to cheaper materials?
  • Mar 9, 2017, 08:26 AM
    joypulv
    Stratmando, did I ever thank you? You were the first person to respond to my first question here, years ago. I wired my own cooktop thanks to you!

As a homeowner, I would want you to squeal. Or just tell me, and I'd demand a reduction in the contract costs.
  • Mar 9, 2017, 08:41 AM
    Stratmando
    I believe you did, I thank you as well. Hope all has been well with you. You have been doing a lot of good here. Take Care