Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Criminal Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407)
-   -   Theft Under 5000, first offender, 21 years old, Toronto, ON (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=208342)

• Apr 22, 2008, 01:25 AM
    neveragain1
    Theft Under 5000, first offender, 21 years old, Toronto, ON
    Last week, I made a mistake to try and steal paint worth about $100 from home depot, I was caught and brought into the back. They called the cops, and they gave me a ticket and made me promise to visit the cop station on a date 4 weeks later for fingerprinting, and a court date 6 weeks later that was written on that ticket. This is my first offense, don't know what made me do it, it is still unclear in my mind. Im going into my third year at university in a bachelor of science program. Im afraid this totally screwed up my potential future opportunities. I have a few questions...

1) am I eligible for the diversion program and when do I apply for it?
    2) Is a lawyer nessesary, or an attorney( I'm unclear the difference)?
    3) If I complete the diversion program, is my record cleaned once finished or after a certain period?
    4) how soon does this offense appear on your record?

Thank you
  • Apr 22, 2008, 01:35 PM
    CaptainForest
    1) Maybe, consult with an attorney
    2) lawyer and attorney is the same thing... yes, get one. Try legal aid. You said you are a student... most universities in canada (well here in ontario anyways) have on campus lawyers to consult with for free

3) yes
    4) once you are CONVICTEd it appears. Since you have only been charged, it does not appear.
  • Apr 22, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Lawyer and attorney is the same thing, yes get one, they can help you get a diversion program.
  • May 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
    neveragain1
    I talked to my lawyer at school, he said discharge is most likely to happen, although does a discharge mean that my record will be clean as it's a first offense?
  • May 6, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Thechaks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by neveragain1
    i talked to my lawyer at school, he said discharge is most likely to happen, although does a discharge mean that my record will be clean as its a first offense?

Do anyone have idea in the difference between PROBATION AND DIVERSION PROGRAMME?
  • May 6, 2008, 01:18 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thechaks
    Do anyone have idea in the difference between PROBATION AND DIVERSION PROGRAMME?

Diversion is offered for minor offenses (not felonies) and first time offenders - if the “offender” completes requirements set by the DA’s Office there are no charges filed, no trial, no criminal record. Sometimes classes are involved (anger management in some cases), restitution must be made to the victim, sometimes there are no contact orders or restraining orders, often the movement of the offender is limited - for example, no bars, no malls, whatever the problem was, for a period. If the offender does NOT live up to the requirements of the program, then the DA has the ability to prosecute. With diversion the case is sort of put on hold for a period to see how the offender behaves.

Probation is in lieu of jail - the offender is convicted but is allowed to be at home if certain conditions - and they vary from case to case - are met: perhaps a curfew, meetings with and supervision by a Probation Officer, drug and/or alcohol testing, staying out of trouble are some. If the offender does NOT live up to the requirements, then the offender can go to jail to finish the sentence and probation is “recalled.”
  • May 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
    neveragain1
    I hope I get accepted into the diversion program, does anyone know the requirements to be eligible other than it being your first offense?
  • May 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

i hope i get accepted into the diversion program, does anyone know the requirements to be eligable other than it being your first offense?

Right - first offense, not a major/violent crime (I believe I said not a felony) and it's upon the recommendation of the DA who, in theory, decides whether you are likely to offend again, whether you learned anything from the experience, whether you will learn without jail time.

I believe you have a better chance if you have an Attorney to argue on your behalf.
  • May 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
    neveragain1
    I talked to the Attorney at my school and told me to go earlier on my court appearance date and go to the Duty Counsel and ask for the diversion program, if I'm not eligible to ask to adjourn.
  • May 7, 2008, 05:00 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

i talked to the Attorney at my school and told me to go earlier on my court appearance date and go to the Duty Counsel and ask for the diversion program, if im not eligable to ask to adjourn.

And if that's what my Attorney said, that's exactly what I would do.
  • May 8, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Thechaks
    Hi Neveragain,
    When is your court date? Can you please advice the whole process here once you have through? Your experience will help here I believe.
    Thanks,
  • May 9, 2008, 09:16 AM
    warbuggy1
    Well u should not of done but click this link hope it helpshttp://http://www.lawteacher.net/PDF/TA%201968.pdf
  • May 9, 2008, 09:20 AM
    neveragain1
    My court appearance date is May 30th.
  • May 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by warbuggy1
    well u should not of done but click this link hope it helpshttp://http://www.lawteacher.net/PDF/TA%201968.pdf

That website does not work. What is it?
  • Nov 13, 2008, 07:37 AM
    bigmistake1

Hello everyone,

This really is not an answer but a question that I would love an answer to as I am really scared. Yesterday was the first time I ever tried to steal something and I got caught for taking a pair of shorts. And taken to the back they gave me two tickets when the cops came one for finger pringting and an other for a trial date I am 18 years old I'm not a bad kid I just made a really bad decision! What is the punishment? Should I get diversion and ifso how what sahould I do? And the other thing is I have an audiont to get in a school of the arts in london will this affect my abbilty to travel? Pleas id love and ejucated helpful answer plaese. Thank you
  • Apr 26, 2009, 01:22 PM
    free soul
    I am 21 years old, got caught shoplifitng for $70, went to first court appearance, was refused diversion, and now I have hired a criminal lawyer. The only question is how likely is it my lawyer convince the Crown to change their mind and offer me diversion Thanks
  • Mar 4, 2010, 06:01 PM
    neveragain040310

What was the result of your case? I'm in the same boat today, I don't even know what came over me, I was walking around in a daze and shocked at my own behaviour. I am upset and don't know what to do. My first court date is in a little over a month. Please share any information you may have?