Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Weddings (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=352)
-   -   New Job/Sisters Wedding-Possible Trouble? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=76591)

• Mar 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
    MD9899
    New Job/Sisters Wedding-Possible Trouble?
    I've recently taken a job with the USPS as a letter carrier I am 20 years old and with no college degree this is a wonderful oppurtunity that some wait years for. Now that Im officially hired with a start date of 04/16 I've got a possibly HUGE problem. The USPS is very strict about tardiness/abscenses in your first 90 days. During the interview process I was very nervous/excited about getting the job and didn't remember to request May 19th (my sisters wedding day) off. My question is If I can't get the day off what should I do?? Possibly sacrifice a once in a lifetime chance CAREER by not going to work/calling out. Or should I not go to the wedding? I feel really bad about this... Please give me any suggestions!!
  • Mar 27, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Be honest, talk to your supervisor and see if they first will let you have the day for a wedding of your sister.

After that, it will be your choice if you give up a career for her wedding.
    I personally have missed many events, for my carrer, but then many won't, McDonlds is always hireing if you lose that job.
  • Mar 27, 2007, 11:05 PM
    ncgirl_21
    I would speak to whom ever you had your interview with and just explain to them that you was excited and nervous and forgot to mention the fact that your sisters wedding was comeing up and you would like to be able to attend I'm sure they will understand don't stress too much at this point just be sure and contact them asap.
  • Mar 29, 2007, 08:22 PM
    gypsy456
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MD9899
    I've recently taken a job with the USPS as a letter carrier I am 20 years old and with no college degree this is a wonderful oppurtunity that some wait years for. Now that Im officially hired with a start date of 04/16 I've got a possibly HUGE problem. The USPS is very strict about tardiness/abscenses in your first 90 days. During the interview process I was very nervous/excited about getting the job and didn't remember to request May 19th (my sisters wedding day) off. My question is If I can't get the day off what should I do??? possibly sacrafice a once in a lifetime chance CAREER by not going to work/calling out. Or should I not go to the wedding?? I feel really bad about this... Please give me any suggestions!!!

Be honest and talk to the people who interviewed you.

It's not big deal, I am sure they understand.
  • Mar 30, 2007, 06:41 AM
    ScottGem
    I would work your first week and work hard trying to impress your supervisor. After the first week, go to the supervisor with a copy of the invitation, and ask if you can switch shifts with someone or switch days off.

I doubt if you will have a problem. If asked why you didn't mention it sooner, explain that you were so excited about this career opportunity it slipped your mind.
  • Mar 30, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    And if you come back tot his site, let us know what happened.