Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512)
-   -   St. Pat's Day -- ideas for green desserts (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=637991)

• Feb 21, 2012, 10:54 PM
    Wondergirl
    St. Pat's Day -- ideas for green desserts
    Key lime pie is already on my list. Any other ideas and/or recipes?
  • Feb 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
    RickJ
    My wife does a wonderful spinach dip for chips. Add some green food coloring to make it more "St. Patrick's Day-ish"

Here is a recipe: Creamy Parmesan Spinach Dip | Skinnytaste

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BizpeaUzxq8/TQ...rmesan-dip.jpg

You can put it in a hollowed out chunk of pumpernickle bread - for presentation.

And green jello shots always go over well for St. Patrick's day too! ;)
  • Feb 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
    J_9
    Green BEER!! http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews...n-beer-mug.jpg
  • Feb 22, 2012, 08:57 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    My wife does a wonderful spinach dip for chips.

Thanks for the reminder! That's my son's NY contribution to parties, but he uses the Hawaiian bread that comes in a round loaf and hollows that out. Spinach = green = St. Pat's Day = I don't have to wait until NYE to eat it again. Now I'm drooling...
  • Feb 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
    Wondergirl
    J_9, will people drink green beer?
  • Feb 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
    aliseaodo
    Maybe you could do deviled eggs, and dye the filling green? (I add mayo, salt, dill, a little bit of yellow mustard, and a great big dollop of horseradish... yum!) If you added a bit of minced ham to the filling, it could be Green Eggs and Ham ;)...
  • Feb 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    Maybe you could do deviled eggs, and dye the filling green?? (I add mayo, salt, dill, a little bit of yellow mustard, and a great big dollop of horseradish...yum!) If you added a bit of minced ham to the filling, it could be Green Eggs and Ham ;).....

Hmmmm, now there's an idea. I should have thought of that for snacktime when I taught preschool!
  • Feb 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
    Wondergirl
    All of these ideas are wonderful, but what about DESSERTS??
  • Feb 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
    massplumber2008
    1 Attachment(s)
    GRASSHOPPER BARS (see image)

Easy Grasshopper Bars Recipe from Betty Crocker

PISTACHIO DESSERT (OR GREEN DEATH)

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Pistachio Dessert (Or Green Death) Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 boxes instant pistachio pudding
    1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple
    12 oz. whipped topping

Pour pineapple plus juice in a bowl. Add pudding. Mix well. Add topping and mix well. Refrigerate. Serves 8-10. If you are a banana lover, add 2-4 sliced bananas to pineapple.

FROZEN GRASSHOPPER TORTE RECIPE

Frozen Grasshopper Torte Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

There's a few for you and I have tried all of them. Believe it or not, the pistachio/pineapple dessert is my favorite! Enjoy the holiday!

Mark
  • Feb 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    GRASSHOPPER BARS (see image)

Easy Grasshopper Bars Recipe from Betty Crocker

PISTACHIO DESSERT (OR GREEN DEATH)

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Pistachio Dessert (Or Green Death) Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 boxes instant pistachio pudding
    1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple
    12 oz. whipped topping

Pour pineapple plus juice in a bowl. Add pudding. Mix well. Add topping and mix well. Refrigerate. Serves 8-10. If you are a banana lover, add 2-4 sliced bananas to pineapple.

FROZEN GRASSHOPPER TORTE RECIPE

Frozen Grasshopper Torte Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

There's a few for you and I have tried all of them. Believe it or not, the pistachio/pinapple dessert is my favorite! Enjoy the holiday!

Mark

Mark, they sound yummy! I may use the pistachio pudding thing for my Easter dinner as a salad/jello. (I usually make a peach salad thing that sounds similar.) Bet it would go well with ham.
  • Feb 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
    aliseaodo
    What about a fruit salad Ambrosia type thing, but with all green fruit? Grapes, kiwi, chunks of green apple, pears, honeydew melon, etc... (don't know how available those are where you live.. )
  • Feb 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    What about a fruit salad Ambrosia type thing, but with all green fruit? Grapes, kiwi, chunks of green apple, pears, honeydew melon, etc...(don't know how available those are where you live..)

Good ideas -- the Chicago area has everything.
  • Feb 25, 2012, 06:59 PM
    Wondergirl
    My dentist loves these --

CREME DE MENTHE BARS
    10 oz. (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
    1/2 c. cocoa
    3 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar, divided
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 c. graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 c. crème de menthe
    1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a saucepan, combine 4 ounces (1 stick) of the butter and the cocoa. Heat and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13x9-inch pan.

Melt 4 ounces of the butter with the crème de menthe. With a mixer, whip in the remaining 3 cups of powdered sugar until smooth. Spread evenly over the graham cracker crust. Chill for 1 hour.

In a saucepan, melt the remaining 2 ounces of the butter and the chocolate chips. Spread over the other layers. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing. Cut into squares. Makes 24.
  • Mar 15, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Aurora_Bell
    Emerald mint milkshake recipe

Makes 3 servings

Ingredients:
    •1 pint (2 cups) vanilla ice cream
    •1 cup milk
    •1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Peppermint Extract
    •1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Green Food Color
    •Whipped cream and green sprinkles (optional)

Directions:
    1.Place ice cream, milk, peppermint extract and green food color in blender; cover. Blend on high speed until smooth.
    2.Pour into glasses. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired. Serve immediately.
  • Mar 15, 2012, 05:37 AM
    smoothy
    Watergate Salad... (its actually a dessert)
  • Mar 15, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Aurora_Bell
    1 Attachment(s)
    Luck o' the Irish cake pops recipe

Makes 4 dozen cake pops

Ingredients:
    •1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
    •2 teaspoons Green Food Color
    •3/4 cup marshmallow crème
    •1 bag (14 ounces) white confectionary coating wafers
    •Lollipop sticks
    •Green sprinkles (optional)

Directions:
    1.Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding food color. Bake as directed on package for 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
    2.Crumble cake into large bowl. Add marshmallow creme; mix until well blended. Shape into 1-inch balls. Refrigerate two hours.
    3.Melt coating wafers as directed on package. For each cake pop, dip 1/2-inch of lollipop stick into melted coating. Insert dipped end of lollipop stick halfway into cake ball. Let stand until coating is set. Dip each cake pop into melted coating. Shake gently to remove excess coating. Sprinkle or roll cake pops in green sprinkles, if desired. Place cake pops in Styrofoam blocks. Let stand until coating is set.
  • Mar 28, 2012, 02:06 AM
    Stellaw
    Hi. Try buco pandan.