Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Australia (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   A China friendly Australia (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=799021)

• Aug 11, 2014, 10:07 PM
    paraclete
    A China friendly Australia
    Australian hotels are exhorted to be china friendly with some exceptional ideas as freebees. Not wanting to be picky but why should chinese tourists to be the only ones to get free condoms, free slippers, free bottled water, free toys, free sovineers?
  • Aug 12, 2014, 12:45 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Because they ask for them, to get the business. If your booking company will demand enough to do business, you can get things too. But most booking companies, will not deny booking to hotels who will not do deals.

If you are a booking agency or travel company in China, you basically tell hotels, they will do this, or you will not give them any business.
    They may be paying higher feels to the booking agency even, to get the business.

Also, those items are standard things in all Chinese hotels, and are expected.
  • Aug 12, 2014, 09:27 PM
    paraclete
    Really, never saw any of them when I was there, was I unobservant or was it because I didn't make forward bookings with a list of demands.

Back to the piece, if hotels provide these things for Chinese tourists they should provide them for all tourists, I'm not speaking about a booking agent here, but the article published here the other day in which we were told to get China ready, and I say why, they want to come, let them, but they should expect a different cultural experience after all that is what travel is about
  • Aug 13, 2014, 08:33 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Tooth brushes, combs, condoms are all standard in most hotels. ( of course cards or ads for sex services are also standard in most) I have only stayed in one hotel, where there was not a number on the night stand ( a hotel extension) for sexual service. I would assume the other hotel had that service, but you would have to ask.

China is very, very birth control conscience. University here has free condom machines, where they use their ID card to get one (or two)

And around any complex there are machines on the walls near most entrances. I think they are 1 rmb, ( about 15 cents USD.)

At the stores like Walmart or the large department stores, they are on the checkout counter ( instead of candy)

Also, bottled water is supplied in every hotel room.
  • Aug 13, 2014, 08:57 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

the article published here the other day in which we were told to get China ready, and I say why, they want to come, let them, but they should expect a different cultural experience after all that is what travel is about
    The governmental tourism policy often has a mandate to get new-new revenue into the gov revenue stream. If it means spending $1 to get $15 then it's a good expense.

The tourists will still get the different cultural experience. Really no different than the Contiki bus tours that the aussies have been so fond of for decades.
  • Aug 14, 2014, 10:47 PM
    paraclete
    Not sure about those contiki tours but bus tours are a useful way of seeing another country which you are not familiar with. I did my own bus tour through China, would have been better if it had been organised, if only for the language problem.