Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pregnancy & New Motherhood (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Does the father have rights before the baby is born even though I'm under age? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=128804)

• Sep 12, 2007, 12:37 PM
    mommy17
    Does the father have rights before the baby is born even though I'm under age?
    Okay my name is Anastasia and I'm 17 and pregnant and my boyfriend is the father who is 18. My parents didn't press charges or anything because they really cant. But they won't let me see him or anything. Even thought I'm underage does he still have rights before the baby iis born to see me and things like that
  • Sep 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
    GlindaofOz
    His "rights" will be to see the child upon its birth. Until the birth he has no rights to see you.

Why didn't your parents press charges? At the hospital they will figure out you were underage when you got pregnant and he claims the baby.
  • Sep 12, 2007, 01:11 PM
    macksmom
    As Glind said... there are no "rights" until the baby is born... I know it a morbid thought, but many things can happen (hopefully they don't) that result in the pregnancy terminating.

So no, you have to wait it out until the baby is born.
  • Sep 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
    babieface85
    The only way he would have any rights is if you were emancipated by the courts and you married him. I do not think this would be an easy process.
  • Sep 15, 2007, 06:59 PM
    baby_girl_07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy17
    okay my name is Anastasia and im 17 and pregnant and my boyfriend is the father who is 18. my parents didnt press charges or anything because they really cant. but they wont let me see him or anything. even thought im underage does he still have rights before the baby iis born to see me adn things like that

Okay let me tell you something that I just went through I'm also 17 and just had a baby girl who is now 7 months old I ran away before my baby was born and I was 17 at the time the cops went to my boyfriend house and they couldn't take me away b-cuz I was 17 and my mom knew where he lived so one thing to tell you if your mom knows where this guy lives then yes you can actually live with him even if she doesn't aprove of him or you there 17 now days is like you getting ready to be a adult and so they treat you like one so to be clear and to answer your question you can see him as long as your mom knows whre he live if she doesn't then just show here lol
  • Sep 15, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Sorry at 17 in most states, if you run away, the police drag you home, there are a few states that will not. But running away does not do anything but show you are not mature enough to deal with things properly.

And if you are 17 and run off to someone who is 18, they can have the 18 year old arrested for interfering with custody and normally other things.
  • Sep 16, 2007, 05:07 PM
    onenonlymanders
    Well I had my first baby when I was 16 and they really can't stop him if he wanted to go to the doctors appointments and ultra sounds with you because he is the father so he kind of does have rights they can't stop him from going to ANY of your appointments
  • Sep 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
    J_9
    Okay, here are the legalities of teen pregnancy.

The parents control what happens to the teen who is pregnant. Once the teen girl gives birth she is the one who decides what is good for her baby. However, if she is still underage, her parents control what they feel is good for her.

It is the PARENT who is in control. The teen girl is the parent of the newborn, so she makes the decisions about the baby, yet her parents are still responsible for her.
  • Sep 17, 2007, 09:08 PM
    NotUrOrdinaryGirl
    It is my understanding that the parents can't press charges because "rape" is when the person is 4 years apart from the person and under 18. I'm not 100% sure. Check it out though