Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   It's a big loss (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=799038)

• Aug 12, 2014, 06:13 AM
    paraclete
    It's a big loss
    Obviously taken before his time, Robin Williams is a loss, anyone who can make you laugh is a loss and this is a loss

Robin Williams 'downsized' before death

It is made more of a loss by the disclosure that he was in difficult circumstances, I expect those who have fame and money can't deal with the transient nature of success
  • Aug 12, 2014, 06:54 AM
    smoothy
    Yep, huge loss, the man was a comic genious. Weapons of self destruction was an absolute classic amoung so much of his other work..
  • Aug 12, 2014, 06:58 AM
    J_9
    It has little to do with money or success other than they are the ones who make the news. Rather, it has to do with an illness that is not recognized and/or is chastised.
  • Aug 12, 2014, 07:05 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

It has little to do with money or success other than they are the ones who make the news. Rather, it has to do with an illness that is not recognized and/or is chastised.
    Now that was deep and profound! We will miss his genius for sure.
  • Aug 12, 2014, 07:05 AM
    paraclete
    Depression is an illness few understand
  • Aug 12, 2014, 07:21 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Depression is an illness few understand

Absolutely! Why? Because it is a disorder of the brain and the chemicals of the brain. The brain is the last frontier. Uncharted territory. Will it ever be mapped to include depression versus illnesses such as epilepsy?

I lost both an uncle and a father to depression. One was suicide, the other was because of the meds that caused multiple organ failure. "Get over it." "Laugh more often." Is what they were told. "snap out of it."

The funny thing is that these people, are funny, why? Because that is how they choose to hide their depression. Why? Because depression is taboo so they want the world to think they are happy while they are suffering in silence.
  • Aug 12, 2014, 03:44 PM
    paraclete
    Top 50 Jokes
    Robin Williams: His 50 greatest jokes | News.com.au
  • Aug 13, 2014, 02:36 AM
    tomder55
    Robin Williams- Carpe Diem - YouTube
  • Aug 13, 2014, 03:29 PM
    tomder55
    there will always be depressed people . their HOPE is in their FAITH ,and the support of their LOVEd ones.
  • Aug 13, 2014, 03:55 PM
    paraclete
    Tom I think a lack of hope is part of being depressed
  • Aug 13, 2014, 04:40 PM
    tomder55
    if one can grade an actor by iconic roles ,Williams had over a dozen of them. I can't think of a scenario where his justification isn't lame.
  • Aug 13, 2014, 07:00 PM
    paraclete
    No certainly Iconic with an ability to take the amusing to the extreme
  • Aug 13, 2014, 07:42 PM
    tomder55
    not just comedy. his dramatic roles were 1st rate . evidently he couldn't cope with life .
  • Aug 13, 2014, 07:53 PM
    paraclete
    I think he had deep financial problems and couldn't see a way out. Divorce will do that to you, take all the worthwhile assets and leave you with the dregs. These community property laws you have over there are ridiculous
  • Aug 14, 2014, 08:10 AM
    tomder55
    nah , he was one of those 'genious' with a screw loose. commiting suicide where family and loved ones will find you is a cruel act against them .
  • Aug 14, 2014, 08:35 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

commiting suicide where family and loved ones will find you is a cruel act against them .
    You don't understand depression apparently. There is no thought surrounding family and loved ones involved in the decision.
  • Aug 14, 2014, 09:18 AM
    NeedKarma
    Who has the ability to rate posts in the Member Discussion boards?
  • Aug 14, 2014, 09:22 AM
    smoothy
    I do but I don't use it here because this is one of the few forums we aren't supposed to do it.
  • Aug 14, 2014, 09:29 AM
    NeedKarma
    Both myself and mogrann in the other thread got rated. Hmmm...
  • Aug 14, 2014, 09:32 AM
    tomder55
    not me ... I'm not uber